Author Topic: Summer Turkey  (Read 3436 times)

1stlink

Summer Turkey
« on: June 22, 2015, 10:28:14 AM »
I have thawed a 12.84lb turkey and started smoking it @ 9:50 this AM Using just over 4oz of pecan and set PID for 275 until IT of 163 is reached. I'm guessing that it will take around 4 hrs. based on a post by Steve (DE).  I also plan on putting it in the gasser for a short time as an experment for Suntan/Crispness addition, how long??  :-\
This bird was already prepped by Publix and had a salt solution soak so brining was not an option. I'm banking on poultry seasoning and pecan smoke.
I welcome any comments/suggestions, etc.  8)
« Last Edit: June 22, 2015, 11:07:41 AM by Ralph »

Limey

Re: Summer Turkey
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2015, 12:01:28 PM »
Cooking time looks about right, maybe it will take a little longer. You do not mention where you are measuring the IT: 163 is fine for the breast meat but too low, imo, for thigh meat where you need to see about 170. Searing/crisping time depends entirely on your gasser. I do mine on a TEC infrared grill which is extremely hot and simply leave the lid open and watch it, just a few minutes a side.
Roger from the Florida Keys.
Two SI#3s, both with switched bypass and Aubers(different locations), Viking, Jenn Aire & five TEC infra red grills. Recently acquired UDS.

1stlink

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2015, 12:11:10 PM »
Thanks Roger for the temperature check as I have my probes in the thighs so I will go for 170°
No TEC here but my dome thermometer reads 600° very quickly with the lid closed and I was thinking maybe five minutes or so would perhaps give the skin some crispness.  If not no big deal I just thought I would experiment.

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2015, 01:36:04 PM »
Ralph,
Did you rub your skin with anything?  The 2 turkeys that I have done, both at 275, have an almost burnt skin but still like rubber.  Not sure if it was because I rubbed them with oil or just the process in the SI.  I came to the conclusion that the skin was just a moisture barrier and becomes waste. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

1stlink

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2015, 02:39:37 PM »
It was done in 3hr 15min 170 IT so I pulled the plug and let her sit. Dave, I coated with olive oil and seasoning, nothing fancy. I took a quick pic and will try to add. Skin got dark but proabaly not eating material... looks kinda leathery if there is such a word. lol

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2015, 03:12:32 PM »
Looks excellent Ralph, I need to look for one of these babies on sale!

Greg

1stlink

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2015, 03:32:16 PM »
Thanks Greg.. I bought 2 of these @ $.59/lb and we will enjoy more meals from this bird.   8)

I should have had Tony's puppy (lol) here to eat the skin..  ;)
« Last Edit: June 22, 2015, 03:41:13 PM by Ralph »

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2015, 08:30:47 PM »
Looks great, Ralph!  You can mail Cyrus (Meathead) the skin!  LOL!  Life gets so much easier when you come to terms with skin as a moisture barrier only! ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!