Author Topic: Instacure #1 vs #2  (Read 8059 times)

jbauch357

Instacure #1 vs #2
« on: March 09, 2015, 01:11:06 PM »
I'm seeing instacure #1 and #2 listed in a variety of different recipes, and after a bit of poking around find that they are the same aside from #2 having 1% sodium nitrate in addition to the 6.25% sodium nitrite and salt.

When would I want to use either of these, and what is the best way to determine which is more appropriate?

Josh - Western Washington (hell)

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
Re: Instacure #1 vs #2
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2015, 01:41:53 PM »
I have never used Instacure #2 unless it has come as part of a store purchased seasoning mix.

The purpose of Cure #2 is for dry curing meat or sausage that will be hung to dry for an extended period of time. For the most part, you will not be using Instacure #2 in most of your recipes, unless you start getting into dry curing and aging meat/sausage.

I am sure that our resident curing experts Martin and Brian will chime in here, but this is my understanding of the difference.

The following is a really good thread that talks about brines and touches on the different types of cures. I would recommend reading through this one.
http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=1504.msg18356#msg18356
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2015, 01:43:45 PM »
By the way, I do frequently use Instacure #1 though, and purchase it in bulk from Amazon or Walton's Inc.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

Walt

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2015, 02:10:21 PM »
The#2 is mostly used for drycureing sausages however it is also used for cureing periods of 2 weeks or more.  The cures I have used for breasola, proscuitini & loma / lonzino have all been for 2 weeks plus.  Therefore I have been useing it for these at a rate of, .25% of meat weight. 

Generally, when related to pinking salts, if you have to ask then I recommend reading up on the topic in greater detail than just the answers posted to your question. If not, follow directions closely from respectable sources for receipes that use them.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

jbauch357

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2015, 03:31:07 PM »
Thanks everybody for the responses, and the link to the great thread with the thorough explanations.  I'm just getting started with researching this and wasn't finding much good info on my initial search attempts, you've helped quite a bit already.

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2015, 06:39:16 PM »
This is a copy and paste from one my posts on curing salt from this link.
http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=1900.msg11392#msg11392

#1 can be used for dry curing but not in a dry cured sausage. #1 can also be used in a brine, like Tony's pork loin brine or my corned beef recipe in the Charcuterie section. However it is also used for some types of dry curing. My dry cured bacon recipe, uses #1 you can see it in the Bacon section.

Pink salt (under many names) prmarly preserves color, prevents fat from becoming rancid, enhances and changes flavor but most important keeps you from killing yourself and your family.

If your smoking is allowing meat to be between 40 to 140 for two or more hours you should be using pink salt.

This is copied directly from Michael Ruhlman's Charcuterie (emphasis and comments added):
Some form of curing salt must be used in any dry cured sausages. The warm anaerobic , protein rich interior of a sausage is ideal environment for bacteria that produce the potentially fatal nerve toxin causing botulism poisoning. Sodium nitrite (#1) prevents these bacteria from growing. Sodium nitrate (#2) is a time release form of sodium nitrite must be used in all dry cured sausages cured over longer periods (weeks).

Nitrates are added to cures for either dry-curing or smoking, processes in which the meat is held between 40 and 140 degrees F. ("Cold Meat, Cold Smoker", you need to hit 140 IT before two hours)

I recommend you buy at least one good book, Charcuterie, In the Charcuterie, &  Salumi are three that I own. There are other books that have a greater emphasis on smoking like Smoking Food or The Complete Book of Butchering Smoking Curing and Sausage making.

Don't trust your life to a bunch of guys on-line, have a resource library.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

jbauch357

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2015, 03:18:38 PM »
OK, so I've seen short term wet brines listed on here which include #1.  If I'm going to be smoking the meat long enough and hot enough to kill any bacteria that may have formed in the day or two of brining, what benefit is there to including the cure?

I've seen a faux smoke ring that was attributed to the use of cure, but that can't be the only reason to use it right?

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2015, 03:50:58 PM »
The majority of the use of curing salt #1 in this forum is for the presentation appearance of the "Fake Smoke Ring" If you are going to be smoking at SMOKER temps above 200 you should be fine without curing salt added to your brine. Brine your meat too long and it will have the comical red stain that penetrates far to deep to appear as anything other than a mistake.

Curing salts are critical for food that is held in a low temp warm moist enviroment of a smoker for long periods of time. "Cold Smoking"often turns into warm damp smoking due to our own mistakes, a faulty set up or outside weather influences. Curing salt keeps you from getting killed by nasty things that grow in that enviroment.

I have said it before, do not trust a bunch of keyboard commandos with your life. I am happy to tell you basic generalizations but go buy at least one good reference book. I recommend Charcuterie by Michael Ruhlman and Brian Pocylin. It is easy to read and simple to follow. They clearly explain why and how salt including curing salt affects meat, I read it twice before I ever made made anything out of it.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

jbauch357

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2015, 04:05:06 PM »
OK, added the book to my cart and the next time I place an order it'll be on the way.

The only thing I cook at low temps is salmon, last time it was only 2hrs at 140 before I pulled it.  I'll see if they speak to that type of cooking once the book arrives.

Thanks again for all the info.