Author Topic: Upgraded controller  (Read 19322 times)

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Upgraded controller
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2015, 08:21:55 PM »
Back to the original question on box temp:  Steve confirmed what I originally posted - 350 is the max recommended safe temp for the box.  Hope this clarifies this.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2015, 08:57:22 PM »
'nuff said.

So, who has an opinion on football air pressure?  Personally, I am waiting for baseball.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

DivotMaker

« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2015, 09:19:32 PM »
'nuff said.

So, who has an opinion on football air pressure?  Personally, I am waiting for baseball.

;)   I'm with ya, Dave!  Sick of "Ballgazi!"
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2015, 10:38:55 PM »
Back to the original question on box temp:  Steve confirmed what I originally posted - 350 is the max recommended safe temp for the box.  Hope this clarifies this.
And stated so as the same for all boxes, 1 - 4?
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

DivotMaker

« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2015, 04:28:04 PM »
And stated so as the same for all boxes, 1 - 4?

Same for all boxes.  They are made exactly the same, just different sizes.
Tony from NW Arkansas

Limey

« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2015, 04:37:49 PM »
Tony, thanks for all your work on this.
Roger from the Florida Keys.
Two SI#3s, both with switched bypass and Aubers(different locations), Viking, Jenn Aire & five TEC infra red grills. Recently acquired UDS.

DivotMaker

« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2015, 04:39:31 PM »
Not a problem at all, Roger! ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas

paidin

« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2015, 10:59:53 PM »
My 2 cents are that allowing the smoker to be able to reach 325 or 350 degrees stock would be a tremendous advantage from a marketing standpoint for Steve and SI.  People do not drop $1400 for a smoker and do not know what they are doing.  Those people buy Masterbuilt Electric Smokers from Bass Pro for $150, not a Smokin-It.  I would have to venture a guess that every single person that bought a Smokin-it did a tremendous amount of research to find that it is worth the extra money to invest in a Smokin-it vs a Masterbuilt and that its a great value compared to some of the other electrics.

Personally, I owned a pellet grill before the Smokin-it and never once did I cook pork higher than 225 degrees or chicken at less than 325 degrees.  The amount of money involved with these cuts of meats pretty much guarantees that you look up the best way to cook the cut, including spices, temps, and cooking times.

I talked to Steve at the show before buying my smoker and told me to come to the forums to find out how to modify my smoker to have it run higher than 250 degrees.  It could be liability that it is limited to 250 degrees but I think he is missing out on what could happen to his demand if this maximum would be raised to 325 or 350.

I am also wondering if we can just modify the analog controller itself to bump up 75 or 100 degrees.  This way, the machine would maintain its failsafe shutdown ability past 350 degrees.  If anyone has the electrical diagram of the analog controller, please let me know.  I have some talented electricians at my work.

thanks,
paidin
the SI#4 should be named "The American" because you can do everything in excess with it.  Just because you can.  'Murica!