Author Topic: Sugar in the raw vs. brown sugar  (Read 5815 times)

es1025

Sugar in the raw vs. brown sugar
« on: September 16, 2014, 04:24:21 PM »
I am getting ready to whip up a batch of meatheads memphis dust, i am comtemplating using sugar in the raw instead of brown sugar. I read the label and the sugar in the raw contains molasses. Do you think this subtstitution will impact the rub?

Thoughts?

Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
Re: Sugar in the raw vs. brown sugar
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2014, 05:02:31 PM »
Hi Ed,

I don't think so. Brown sugar has some of the same ingredients chemically if I remember right. I have used a similar "unwashed" sugar in the past and can't tell the difference.
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2014, 07:16:42 PM »
You can correct me if I am wrong, but I am pretty sure that brown sugar contains molasses too. At least the Dark Brown sugar that I use does.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2014, 12:54:50 AM »
Brown sugar is white castor sugar with molasses added. In a pinch you can mix your own if you run out while baking. I would not substitute, one for the other though.

Sugar in the raw is a brand name. It is what it implies to be, raw sugar, it also goes by a few other names but is all the same stuff. I wouldn't use it for mixing a batch of Dust. I say this because of raw sugar's extremely course crystal structure. You will not get high enough heat or prolonged moisture to effectively render all those crystals to liquid. Others may say I'm wrong and they have had good results. However I know when I used raw sugar a few times on loins I got a hard candy crust. It was tasty and delicious but NOT what i would want on my ribs.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 05:04:20 PM by Pork Belly »
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2014, 10:12:05 AM »
Brian, I agree with you on ribs. I use raw sugar when I am brining mostly. Hence no problems with crystals.
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2014, 09:38:29 PM »
Brian, I agree with you on ribs. I use raw sugar when I am brining mostly. Hence no problems with crystals.

"Sugar in the Raw" is actually Turbinado sugar.  It is fairly unrefined, and contains much of the natural molasses that's found in cane sugar.  I use Demerara sugar, which is similar to Turbinado, except the grains are even larger.  Neither of these will work for rubs, as it would be like using canning salt in place of Kosher salt.  The flavor is excellent, though, and is perfect for brines (heated and melted).  I use Demerara in coffee, and prefer it over white sugar.

Another alternative to dark brown sugar is muscovado sugar.  Unlike most dark brown sugar, which is just white sugar with molasses added back in, it is more unrefined sugar that keeps some of the dark sugarcane juice left in during processing.  It is more sticky than brown sugar, but is a really good substitute.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

es1025

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2014, 09:15:10 AM »
I was thinking of putting the sugar in the raw into the coffee grinder for a few pulse to have a consistency similar to granulated sugar. I dont like the clumpng.

Ed from Northern NJ

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2014, 11:35:12 AM »
Hmmm, that sounds like that might be a good idea Ed.
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2014, 03:18:28 PM »
Experimentation can be fun but I doubt what you get will be much different than dark brown sugar.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2014, 07:47:47 PM »
I was thinking of putting the sugar in the raw into the coffee grinder for a few pulse to have a consistency similar to granulated sugar. I dont like the clumpng.

Great idea!  I never really thought of that!  I might try this with the Demerara, just for fun! 
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

es1025

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2014, 05:58:25 PM »
Not impact at all on the rub. A nice substitute.
Ed from Northern NJ