Author Topic: Another #3 Newbie  (Read 5864 times)

gmbrown

• Owner of a #3
Another #3 Newbie
« on: July 21, 2014, 12:45:14 PM »
Hi, folks,

I've been lurking here for a while (for research, mostly), but finally got a hold of my #3. Last summer, we bought a mass-market competitor's product, and it was DOA--didn't even heat up. So we returned it, and I did some research, and found that that was a problem a lot of people had with it. I figured there had to be a decent-priced electric smoker that actually works, and eventually found Smokin-It. My wife got me the #3 as a birthday present (best wife ever), and since we don't live too far from Smokin-It HQ, I picked it up in person. Steve, Mr. Smokin-It himself, was very personable (and friendly to my curious three-year-old who had come for the ride), helped me load everything up, gave me a few tips on how to use it, and off we went.

Couldn't be happier with how it works (and more importantly) how it cooked up the two slabs of ribs that ended up being the maiden voyage of our #3. This is a great product, and you folks here on the forum have shared some great tips.

Geoff
Geoff from Michigan, exiled to Ohio

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
Re: Another #3 Newbie
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2014, 12:58:46 PM »
Welcome Geoff from ND!

You have made a great choice with the #3 and what a bonus to be able to pick it up and eliminate the shipping cost.

Plenty to read here and many that can answer questions.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

mnsmoker

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2014, 01:05:26 PM »
You will be very happy with your #3 and the forum is the icing on the cake, great people with great tips, a combo that makes it impossible to fail !!
Jim from Minnesota

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2014, 01:13:45 PM »
I'm thinking of the huge pile of meat I could have bought if I didn't have to pay shipping.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 01:41:55 PM by Pork Belly »
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

Walt

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2014, 01:28:09 PM »
Well said, Geoff.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2014, 01:55:34 PM »
Welcome to the family, Geoff!    You are off to a great start with plenty of good smokes in your future ... lots of good ideas on this forum of meats/recipes to try out...it will keep you busy for sure!  Cheers
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2014, 08:05:47 PM »
Welcome, again, Geoff!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

es1025

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2014, 08:26:47 PM »
Geoff
Welcome to the home of awesome q.

You will enjoy like the rest.

I would recommend baby backs.

Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

gmbrown

• Owner of a #3
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2014, 12:37:59 PM »

I may try those. Certainly, when I had ribs the old-fashioned (wrong  ;) ) way, baby backs were better because they still ended up more tender. But for my money, in a smoker, I prefer a properly smoked rack of SLC ribs because they have more meat and taste just as good if not better. That said, I may change that tune once I've run a couple racks of baby backs through the #3.  :D

Smokster

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2014, 11:24:21 PM »
Hi Geoff, welcome to the forum. Great choice with the #3, you will be amazed at the results that this unit produces.
Tony from Toronto
Smokin It and Lovin It

DivotMaker

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2014, 07:45:02 PM »

I may try those. Certainly, when I had ribs the old-fashioned (wrong  ;) ) way, baby backs were better because they still ended up more tender. But for my money, in a smoker, I prefer a properly smoked rack of SLC ribs because they have more meat and taste just as good if not better. That said, I may change that tune once I've run a couple racks of baby backs through the #3.  :D

Either are a fine choice, and both come out great in an SI.  I was a SLC rib guy most of my life, mainly due to never having baby backs that were worth a darn.  Too little, not enough meat.  However, I found the IBC 3-rack packs they sell at Sam's, and I'm a true convert!  They are more meaty than any spares I've made, and yield more "edible" meat (the whole thing).  Maybe it's the ribs you're buying.
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

gmbrown

• Owner of a #3
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2014, 07:00:07 PM »
Either are a fine choice, and both come out great in an SI.  I was a SLC rib guy most of my life, mainly due to never having baby backs that were worth a darn.  Too little, not enough meat.  However, I found the IBC 3-rack packs they sell at Sam's, and I'm a true convert!  They are more meaty than any spares I've made, and yield more "edible" meat (the whole thing).  Maybe it's the ribs you're buying.

Part of the problem may be comparing apples to oranges: the baby backs I've had have always been good, but I've always had them grilled (the downside to living in the North is that few people know how to do BBQ--I had to drive at least half an hour and pay a lot of money to find the few places in the Detroit area that know what they're doing. But now I get to do it myself  :) ). And I'm comparing those to smoked spare ribs. IMHO, that's no comparison. Now, if I had those good baby backs in the smoker, that may have me singing a different tune. :-)

DivotMaker

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2014, 07:39:38 PM »
Good thing now, Geoff, is you can do a side-by-side comparison - at home! 8)
Tony from NW Arkansas

es1025

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2014, 07:22:07 AM »
Maybe i have been lucky, i get my ribs from either bj's or costco. Both places have good product.

I smoked both types of ribs,  both came out real good just like the meatiness of the baby backs.

Btw, in nj you only get slc in restaurants coated in bbq sauce. We dont order ribs anymore.
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

DivotMaker

« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2014, 07:22:34 PM »
Maybe i have been lucky, i get my ribs from either bj's or costco. Both places have good product.

I smoked both types of ribs,  both came out real good just like the meatiness of the baby backs.

Btw, in nj you only get slc in restaurants coated in bbq sauce. We dont order ribs anymore.

Funny, Ed, most of the BBQ joints in my neck of the woods only do spares.  The bigger chains, like Rib Crib, do baby backs, but not the smaller places.  Strange, really.  I grew up on spares, but am a total convert to back ribs now.  I find the lack of the small cartilage bones, and less fat, appealing.  The meat texture is more consistent, too.
Tony from NW Arkansas