Author Topic: Auto Tuning - Group Results  (Read 67012 times)

es1025

Re: Auto Tuning - Group Results
« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2014, 12:33:35 PM »
After bypass
Took less than two hours to calibrate.
P 51
I 115
D 130

Cabinet right below the three bricks which were on the top shelf.

Water can and foiled bottom and smoke box.
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2014, 08:01:24 PM »
Good job, Ed!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Big Red Home Smoker

« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2014, 06:10:05 PM »
Just completed my first autotune and my reslts were:
P - 87
I - 282
D - 160

Three bricks
Small water pan
Hanging probe from top rack secured with a cork
89 degrees outside
Only took 1 1/2 hours to complete autotune
Temps aligned with Maverick all the way through

Can't wait for mynfirst smoke with the Auber in charge!

Terry from Omaha
Model #3

DivotMaker

« Reply #33 on: July 20, 2014, 07:02:32 PM »
Good job, Terry!  You'll be impressed with the Auber - makes a great smoker PERFECT!
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

Big Red Home Smoker

« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2014, 11:00:20 AM »
Ok Tony - now what might be considered a dumb question.......I have not found any documentation regarding what to do now that I have completed the autotune. 

When I start my first smoke with the autotuned Auber and the SI, do I just turn on both the SI and the Auber, crank up the SI to 250 degrees and program the Auber to my desired actual temp (example -140/230 degrees and cook time 140 for 1 hr and 230 for 5 hr) for each smoke going forward? 

In other words - do I set the Auber each time for my particular smoke details for temp and time and do I need to be concerned with any temp settings on the SI other than ensuring it is turned on?

Thanks for your patience for a new Auber user.

Terry from Omaha
Model #3

mnsmoker

« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2014, 01:14:12 PM »
Turn on the Auber check the settings adjust if needed. Ihave been doing ribs the last few smokes, 5 hrs. @ 235 so the Auber is ready to go no additional settings needed, but either way it only takes seconds to change.
Jim from Minnesota

DivotMaker

« Reply #36 on: July 21, 2014, 08:20:27 PM »
Terry, now that the Auber is autotuned, it will perform well to your smoker.  Unfortunately, that doesn't mean it will automatically set itself.  You will still need to adjust the programming for what you are smoking, prior to starting the cook.  I plug mine in, while still in the kitchen, and program it before hooking it up.  Plug in, and go through the 6 "steps" of the programming to adjust accordingly.  Here's a few that I use on a regular basis, and they work well for me (others have variations, as will you):

Ribs:

C01  140    E01  t    t01  0.5
C02  235    E02  t    t02  6.0
C03  0       E03   t   t03   0.0
C04  0       E04   t   t04   0.0
C05  0       E05   t   t05   0.0
C06  0       E06   t   t06   0.0

This program ramps up the temp slowly, then maintains 235 for the duration of the smoke (I check them before the program ends, and just turn it off when the ribs are done).  Notice all "E0x" settings are "t" - if there are no "Fs" present, you don't need the meat probe, just box temp.

Pork Butt:

C01  140    E01  t    t01  0.5
C02  225    E02  F   F02  198
C03  0       E03   t   t03   0.0
C04  0       E04   t   t04   0.0
C05  0       E05   t   t05   0.0
C06  0       E06   t   t06   0.0

As you can see, pretty simple once you get used to the steps.  Here, I ramp-up the wood, then let it go @ 225 until the internal temp reaches 198.  Turn off, foil, rest, eat!

Most programs, for me, are pretty similar.  Just focus on the trigger (time or temp) for the E step, then set your target with the "t" or "F" step.

Let me know if you have any other questions - we're here to help!
Tony from NW Arkansas

DivotMaker

« Reply #37 on: July 21, 2014, 08:25:07 PM »
Terry, as to your other questions:  You will always set the temp dial to 250 when using the Auber.  I recommend a bypass (check the Auber section for instructions - it's at the top), just so the Auber doesn't ever compete with the stock controller.

Just remember, there are 6 steps to the program, and each one has to be addressed.  This will be very obvious to you once you start cooking with it.  It also remembers your last program, so 2 rib smokes in a row will not require a change - just turn it off and back on to reset the program to the start.
Tony from NW Arkansas

Big Red Home Smoker

« Reply #38 on: July 22, 2014, 03:58:01 PM »
Thanks for your input Jim and Tony.  That helps a lot before I actually try the Auber.  Maybe I missed something somewhere on how to use the Auber and SI together once the autotune was completed.  The autotune should give me a consistent temp.  I'm going to complete another smoke before considering a bypass.  If everything goes ok, I'll keep the bypass option in my hip pocket for later if I need to do it.  I was originally going to also permanently mount the Auber temp probe and do the bypass.  I used the cork method to suspend the temp probe from the top grate that someone else suggested.  That worked very well with consistent temps vs my Maverick. 

Thanks again guys....appreciate the help and responsiveness!
Terry from Omaha
Model #3

DivotMaker

« Reply #39 on: July 22, 2014, 07:19:58 PM »
You're welcome, Terry!  Yeah, it gets a little confusing sometimes!  Lots of information to absorb.  Think of autotuning like having a suit tailored; off the rack, it's cut for the "generic" man, but the tailor fits it to your
build.  The Auber, out of the box, is tuned for the Bradley smoker, so you have to tailor it to your smoker.  It adjusts how fast it heats, and when to slow down/heat up to maintain the set temperature.  Now, by placing your probe in as close to the autotune location, it will perform at its peak each time.
Tony from NW Arkansas

InTheCards

« Reply #40 on: July 26, 2014, 05:44:17 PM »
P: 61
I: 468
D: 183

Environment :  Las Vegas Desert summer night, 97F, windy.  Probe 1 attached to top grate in the rear using a alligator clip that is only touching the cable, not the probe itself - this will assure the probe is always in the same position.  3 Bricks on second shelf, + tray of water on the bottom shelf.  No bypass at this time, perhaps in the future.

I have not taken her out for a smoke since autotuning, will report back if results are poor.

restorick2378

« Reply #41 on: July 26, 2014, 11:35:03 PM »
SI #3 Autotune results:

P - 77
I - 992
D - 124

Permanent probe mounted about 1/2" underneath top rack, dead center.  Bypassed standard controller. Foiled the bottom of the smoker as well as the top of the box.  Added a water pan with approx 16 oz of water.

Ambient temp was 83F, autotune ran approx 90 min.

Ready to rock and roll baby!
Rick
Rick from Wisconsin
#3 with Auber PID - Lazy-Q heaven on earth!

Walt

« Reply #42 on: December 31, 2014, 09:41:14 PM »
SI2
Ambient temperature 55
Wall mount probe 1" from top
2 bricks 2nd shelf & pan of water on bottom
P - 53
I - 830
D - 207
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

DivotMaker

« Reply #43 on: December 31, 2014, 09:44:42 PM »
Walt, I had 62, 902, 112 in the #2.  Your probe placement is a little different from mine, so that probably makes the difference.  Let us know how it works out!  What model PID do you have?
Tony from NW Arkansas

Walt

« Reply #44 on: December 31, 2014, 09:48:16 PM »
WSD 1200GPH
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill