Author Topic: (SI3 + cart) & PID with chimney to range hood in garage  (Read 11836 times)

Smokem if ya got em

Re: (SI3 + cart) & PID with chimney to range hood in garage
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2014, 12:00:34 AM »
I like this suggestion.  It's my first winter smoking and I was looking for an alternative to setting it outside in bad weather. Particularly since I use the Auber with each smoke. Does the vertical vent simply rest on the smoker or is it supported in some way?  Was considering setting up something like this in my garage.
Dean from SE Michigan

Smokin-It Model #3 Owner as of May 10, 2014

Three Sons BBQ

« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2014, 10:36:27 PM »
Just a $10 aluminum double wall chimney vent from hardware store... Only need for first one hour of smoke when it's really heavy...then you can set it to the side and just let the fan pull air out. Not perfect... But it works well.
Brinkmann '07... Offset '11... Smokin-It '13!!!

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2014, 10:40:16 PM »
Neat set up, where east or west in PA are you?   Our new Gov might have to regulate that vent you put up.   

John
Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2014, 10:52:48 PM »
Is your fan a vented or non-vented style?
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

Three Sons BBQ

« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2014, 12:32:50 AM »
Vented. To the outside... To get smoke out of garage.

In winter... Leave garage door open a foot for fresh air. Turn on ceiling fan to force lingering smoke / air out of garage. Hood tries to get as much smoke as possible out of garage direct. Duct I just rest on SI to guide smoke to vent. After 60 min... I close garage, turn off ceiling fan, put vent away, and let smoker run with just hood vent on.

This works well. In fact the first several steps aren't required... But I do them anywY to be safe. After the one hour mark... I go to sleep. 😉

TmanEater

• Model #2 Owner
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2014, 12:45:41 AM »
I like your setup. I've been rolling mine from the deck into the house during this cold weather (single digits today) to prepare it (see pic attached) and then back out to cook. Pulling the finished product and cleanup have remained outside on the deck due to the mess. Things might get more difficult for me when we actually start getting snow. I might have to move it into the garage at least for prep and cleanup.
Smokin Newbie starting Dec. 2014... Learning Lazy-Q As Fast as I can!
Smokin-It 2, HeaterMeter PID
Monitor my live smokes at http://bbq.tonylyne.com

Tony from Marion, IA

Three Sons BBQ

« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2015, 09:44:05 AM »
Whoa... I love the sight of a number four.

When I buy another... Probably in 20 years when we retire and we move to a new house.... It will be a number four just because. 😉

I would say worst case leave it in the garage... You can do all setup there... And smoke in garage with door open... This way unit shielded from environment.

Killjoy

« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2015, 12:11:06 PM »
That's awesome, Great idea! :)
Paul from The Boro, TN
Husband, Father
Smokin-It #3
Better to Have and Not Need, Then Need and Not Have.