Author Topic: Western Premium Woods  (Read 3358 times)

erictepe

Western Premium Woods
« on: November 12, 2013, 06:55:04 PM »
Has anyone used Western Premium Wood chunks in their smokers? I saw them at a local store and thought about purchasing but wanted to get some reviews first.

http://www.westernbbqproducts.com/wood-chunks.html

Thanks in advance to all that respond

Eric

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Western Premium Woods
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2013, 09:00:42 PM »
They sell these at my local Academy Sports & Outdoors.  I've seen some decent review on them, but haven't tried them yet.  You may have to re-split to fit your smoker box. 

The main problem with wood you find at hardware stores, WalMart, etc., is moisture content.  Most of that wood has been out and exposed to air for quite awhile.  What that means is that it's sometimes way too dry to use in a smoker; it burns instead of smoulder.  Some of the wood suppliers, like Fruitawood or Maine Grilling Woods, control the moisture content really well, and the wood you receive it very fresh.  Nothing worse than a flare-up of really dry wood in the smoker!  Instead of thin, blue smoke, you see really heavy white/gray smoke that definitely doesn't smell as good.  Not good for the meat. :o
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

BIG BOB

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2013, 10:22:54 AM »
I have used the Apple from Western products.... i made a foil pouch with holes the size of BBs all over it (so the wood would not burn) and it worked great!
B-EE-RR-UN BEERRUN!

Bob from New Castle, IN.

es1025

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2013, 08:50:06 AM »
Eric, I have ordered cherry wood from fruitawood. It smokes very well and I have not had a bad piece of wood. I ordered the chunks. I do split to ensure the wood fits in the smoker box.
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2013, 07:27:44 PM »
To piggyback on what Ed said - Fruitawood is always great.  I don't want to have to foil wood that goes in the box; I'd rather have it the right moisture content from the start.  One less thing to deal with - but, that's just me.  Quite a few good wood reviews in here.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!