Author Topic: Famous Dave's Rib Rub  (Read 41821 times)

Barrel99

Re: Famous Dave's Rib Rub
« Reply #30 on: December 24, 2014, 05:52:02 PM »
Ed, I have had Memphis Dust on my list to try. I use Jeffs secret rub on everything and have used it for years. But now with the SI I would like to experiment with some others. Seems like the SI brings out the creativity in all of us.
Arnie near Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Smokin-It #3, Landmann GSM Propane smoker, WEBER kettle, CharGrill Gas BBQ, Brinkman Gas/charcoal combo grill

1-is fun, 2-gets you through, 3-will set you free, 4-and you don't need no more...WAHOOOOOO!!!

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #31 on: December 26, 2014, 11:04:25 PM »
I tried the unsalted version of Memphis Dust, on a brined pork butt, and wasn't impressed.  It's just too bland for my taste (and the family agreed).  I'll stick with Dave's, or Jeff Phillip's rub.  I may even come up with my own version! ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Barrel99

« Reply #32 on: December 26, 2014, 11:24:26 PM »
Well I couldn't get Daves Rub at Walmart. They don't carry it. Since everyone likes it so much I might just buy it online. I will still try Memohis Dust as well. I am with you Tony. I like to taste the rub in the bark. Not just salt and sugar, but the blended spices. Let's see what you can come up with Tony. I for one will try it.

Smokin-It #3, Landmann GSM Propane smoker, WEBER kettle, CharGrill Gas BBQ, Brinkman Gas/charcoal combo grill

1-is fun, 2-gets you through, 3-will set you free, 4-and you don't need no more...WAHOOOOOO!!!

DivotMaker

« Reply #33 on: December 26, 2014, 11:29:00 PM »
Thanks Arnie!  Guess I have a project for this weekend! ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

Barrel99

« Reply #34 on: December 26, 2014, 11:37:19 PM »
Go Divot!

Put Smoker In

« Reply #35 on: December 28, 2014, 09:05:43 PM »
It was Famous Dave's rub for my first smoke.   Two thumbs up.
Dan from Michigan

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2014, 07:27:31 PM »
This is my go to rub for everything pork and is great on poultry too:

http://www.waltonsinc.com/p-3518-smokehouse-bbq-no-msg-163-lb.aspx

Here it is in a smaller bottle:
http://www.waltonsinc.com/p-3470-smokehouse-bbq-no-msg.aspx

I have a cupboard full of different seasonings and haven't found anything that I like better.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

es1025

« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2015, 10:01:10 AM »
Tony, if you can handle the cayenne and chili powder memphis dust is not for you.  My family likesthe memphis dust.

I do like famous dave's rib rub. Not spicy imo at all.
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

DivotMaker

« Reply #38 on: January 04, 2015, 04:35:47 PM »
Ed, the Memphis Dust has a great flavor profile, but if I try it again, I'm gonna have to "kick it up a notch," as Emeril says! ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas

bigbassnutt

« Reply #39 on: January 04, 2015, 08:21:55 PM »
I really like Memphis Dust on my ribs but just not enough flavor for pulled pork or pork loin. I stick with Famous Dave's for those. I did pick up a new Butt rub that will try soon, it's called Excalibur Butt Rub Kansas City style.
Mike in Indiana
Smokin-it Model 2

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #40 on: January 04, 2015, 08:47:51 PM »
I think I have the same rub. I love Excalibur seasonings and my go to seasoning is Excalibur Smokehouse BBQ seasoning. I buy it in 5lb bulk bags.

I got this Kansas City Rump Rub from my last Walton's Inc order for free because I ordered enough stuff.

I haven't tried it yet, but it will be in my next butt.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

DivotMaker

« Reply #41 on: January 05, 2015, 09:49:09 PM »
Do a review on it, Gregg, and let us know how it turns out!
Tony from NW Arkansas

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #42 on: January 05, 2015, 09:55:00 PM »
Do a review on it, Gregg, and let us know how it turns out!

I definitely will. I have a butt in the freezer with it's name on it. But, I have Canadian Bacon loins brining in the fridge and don't really have room in the fridge for more meat. I really need a dedicated meat fridge. Plus it is freezing ass cold up here this week, and while the smoker can definitely handle the temps, I'm not excited about the prep and cleanup in -15 plus weather. ;)
Gregg - Fargo, ND

DivotMaker

« Reply #43 on: January 05, 2015, 10:19:30 PM »
Can you take a picture of the ingredients, Gregg?
Tony from NW Arkansas

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #44 on: January 06, 2015, 12:19:51 AM »
Ask and ye shall receive.

The Kansas City Rump Rub has MSG, so not so good for you Tony. I'll get this rub tested and reviewed some time in January.

But the Excalibur BBQ Smokehouse seasoning is MSG free. :)
Gregg - Fargo, ND