Author Topic: Did I buy the wrong thing?  (Read 1601 times)

EzGlider

• Jeff
Did I buy the wrong thing?
« on: September 12, 2018, 03:23:57 PM »
Ok, headed to Costco and bought what I thought was the right thing but now am wondering... I thought I bought a Butt that I would smoke but this one is boneless (which I suppose is not big deal) but it is also much heavier than the ones normally talked about in other butt smokes. Did I get the wrong one, or will it work. This one was actually one of the smaller ones to choose from... Still plan 1 hr, 45min/lb?

Thanks in advance,

Jeff

barelfly

Re: Did I buy the wrong thing?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2018, 03:51:31 PM »
That’s what I buy at Costco. There also may be two pieces packaged in there. I prefer bone in but, I usually just get exactly what you have there.

Freeze one and smoke the other. Or smoke one for sliced, one for pulled.

But you are good to go!
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear

EzGlider

• Jeff
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2018, 03:54:23 PM »
Thanks, I did not even thing about 2 in the pkg, I guess that would explain the weight...

Grampy

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2018, 07:35:58 AM »
Jeff, yeah you are fine. You have a boneless Boston Butt and probably two of them packaged together. Not a big deal but word of caution, sometimes the boneless variety can take longer to cook than bone in. Plan for 2 hours per lb and you should be fine. If it finishes earlier double wrap it in foil and keep it in a cooler with a towel packed around it or drop your smoker temp to 140 double wrap in foil and hold in the smoker until you are ready to pull it.
Jimmy from Arkadelphia, AR
Smokin-It #2
Woo Pig Sooie!