Author Topic: Country Style Ribs  (Read 1439 times)

will615

Country Style Ribs
« on: September 16, 2018, 09:17:49 PM »
This was another last minute smoking project. They seem to happen a lot on Sunday afternoons!  This is my first attempt with Country Style Ribs in my #1. I didn’t get a chance to brine so I added a water pan. 3.5 lbs of meat, mustard, Dave’s rib rub, 2 oz of cherry, and 235 deg (I turned it up a bit because I started late). After 1 hr and 45 min, my internal temp is 183. That seems fast as I read in an earlier post here to expect 45 min to 1 hr per pound. I suspect it’s the small amount of meat that I am smoking. I have plenty of time now so I turned it back down to 225 deg. I am using 2 digital thermometers (an old Maverick and a new Thermopen) that both agree. The ribs had a lot of fat so I am content to smoke longer. P.S. These ribs are cut from the shoulder and are approx. 2”x2” with varying lengths. After 2.5 hours, none of the pieces have hit 190. I didn’t realize there might be a “stall” with these ribs! As long as I cook dinner, my wife doesn’t care what time we eat so I will continue to watch them. After 3.5 hours, all or the temps were in the high 180’S. I took them off and painted them with a heated mixture of BBQ sauce and rib rub. I put them on the gas grill for 3-4 minutes per side to char the sauce. They were very, very good!
Will, Nashville, TN
SI #1, Weber Smoky Mtn., Kilwell Fish Smoker, and an old New Braunfels offset smoker that makes great ribs regardless of the bad reviews!

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
Re: Country Style Ribs
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2018, 08:18:06 AM »
They aren't ribs they are bone in pork butt. That is why they have so much fat. You can worry less about cooking to a temp and cook until tender. I would expect 3.5-4 hours had I been smoking them. They look good, finishing on the grill was a nice touch.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud