Author Topic: Crazy ... Boston butt 20+ hours  (Read 4275 times)

Barrel99

Crazy ... Boston butt 20+ hours
« on: November 16, 2014, 10:43:19 PM »
This was my first butt on the smokinit. I started my 8 pound butt at 10:15pm. Used a rub. Had 3 ounces apple pellets and 3 ounces hickory chips in foil boats piled up on the chip rack. Set smoker at 225 and went to bed. Woke up at 8 am and temp was IT 160. By 7:15 pm I finally hit IT 200. I usually go to IT 205. but didn't want to wait anymore. I took it off at that point, let it rest, pulled it and ate it. Of course it was excellent, maybe just a bit dryer than I would have liked.

I have no idea why it was taking so long. I did finally turn it up to max temp near the end, otherwise I would still be waiting. My Maverick showed good temp control around the 225 mark, never went above. You just never know with the butts how long it will take. Next time I might foil it after a few hours.

Since I never saw the temp go above 225, maybe I need to adjust the Smokinit. There should have been an upward swing as well.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 10:01:58 AM by Barrel99 »
Arnie near Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Smokin-It #3, Landmann GSM Propane smoker, WEBER kettle, CharGrill Gas BBQ, Brinkman Gas/charcoal combo grill

1-is fun, 2-gets you through, 3-will set you free, 4-and you don't need no more...WAHOOOOOO!!!

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
Re: Crazy ... Boston butt 20+ hours
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2014, 10:32:09 AM »
Yeah, that seems a little long. But not as bad as you may think.

In my #3, my butts almost always take 2 hours per pound.

I used to smoke to 200, but have since reduced my target temp to 195 and find that provides great results.

If you were hitting 225, it may have just been a stubborn piece of meat.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

Barrel99

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2014, 12:39:38 PM »
Gregg, I think I will try 195 next time. It may be that I have to experiment a little, but 202-205 is what I have always used.

UPDATE:

The meat didn't have enough smoke flavor for me. If you noticed, I tried Chips and pellets together in separate foil boats using the smokinit chip tray. Both burned some but none turned to ash. The pellets were black but still hard. The chips were black but not ash. It appears there may have not been enough heat from the element to keep them burning.

Next time I will try without the chip tray but keep the foil boats. I use the foil to create a pile so they are not just spread over the chip tray.

I will also try just the chip tray to see how fast they burn. This is all just exploring.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 12:44:05 PM by Barrel99 »

Smokin-It #3, Landmann GSM Propane smoker, WEBER kettle, CharGrill Gas BBQ, Brinkman Gas/charcoal combo grill

1-is fun, 2-gets you through, 3-will set you free, 4-and you don't need no more...WAHOOOOOO!!!

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2014, 12:50:52 PM »
I only use chips for low temp smokes. For all of my higher temp and longer smokes I use chunks.

I think you have a good plan for your testing. Using the foil boat pretty much negates the need for the chip tray and was probably causing too much barrier from the element.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2014, 07:55:08 PM »
5-6 oz. of chunks only, smoke to 195 no peeky = pulled pork perfection, every time! 8)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Barrel99

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2014, 09:53:42 PM »
I know Tony, chunks. The problem is that I have about 60 pounds of pellets and would like to use them up. I guess I can throw them on the grill when BBQing. But, I am experimenting with them to see what I can do. Steve at SI told me that about 40-50% of his customers use pellets. He didn't specifically say only for cold smoking. So I am curious to see how to use them effectively.

Walt

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2014, 10:22:57 PM »
I would also use chunks for your primal cuts & ribs  However, I believe pellets, chips & slivers absolutely have a place in SI cooking.  Particularly for cold (fish, cheese, spices,etc) or low temp smokes (fish, jerky, etc) or even short duration smokes (2 or 3 hours or less like seafood or stuffed peppers.)  With the added surface area these forms will smoke easier and quicker and allow for a more complete burn under those conditions.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2014, 03:18:17 PM »
I would also use chunks for your primal cuts & ribs  However, I believe pellets, chips & slivers absolutely have a place in SI cooking.  Particularly for cold (fish, cheese, spices,etc) or low temp smokes (fish, jerky, etc) or even short duration smokes (2 or 3 hours or less like seafood or stuffed peppers.)  With the added surface area these forms will smoke easier and quicker and allow for a more complete burn under those conditions.

+1 on this.

I totally agree with Walt on this.

I have about 20lbs of sawdust that I used to use in my Big Chief that I will never use in my Smokin-It. I do still occasionally use my Big Chief for smoking fish, so may eventually use up my saw dust ;)
Gregg - Fargo, ND

Barrel99

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2014, 07:22:36 PM »
I wonder if I can put milk on them, add a banana on it and eat them for breakfast. Maybe I could smoke them. Oh well, I will still play around with them. Thanks.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2014, 07:59:40 PM »
You should be able to master the pellet technique, Arnie!  I just use chunks because I have a LOT of them!  If I had 60 lbs of pellets, believe me, I would use them! ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Barrel99

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2014, 08:58:58 PM »
For sure. I have been experimenting and eventually will come up with imo a successful solution that I will happily pass on to everyone. Heck, with 60 pounds of pellets, I can experiment for a long time... a very long time.. a very very long time. Besides, I don't like cereal for breakfast.