Author Topic: Brown Sugar Pork Brine  (Read 6628 times)

UWFSAE

• Smoker, Griller, & International Man of Mystery
Brown Sugar Pork Brine
« on: August 02, 2013, 04:56:52 PM »
I'm smoking a ton of meat over the next few days (two 4 lb. pork loins, two racks of baby backs, and two chuck roasts) for some friends and for freezing for later.  The pork loins will be brined, injected with melted apple butter and brown sugar, then rubbed with molasses and a spicy rub.

Since I've got a ton of grading to do as well, I figured I'd start my prep today.  I'll let the pork loin sit for 36 hours and smoke them Sunday morning for lunch later that day.  This is meant to be a very pronounced molasses flavor so it will be a slightly sweet and served on King's Hawaiian Rolls and garnished with a spicy slaw or pickles.  So ... the brine!

The pic below is after 18 hours in a stainless brining vessel in the refrigerator; I wanted to rotate the pork loin just to be safe.  The color of the brine has darkened slightly and the pork loin has taken on a little color as well.

Brown Sugar Pork Loin Brine
2 qts water (used filtered tap water)
3/4 cup Kosher salt
3/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup turbinado sugar
3 tbsp garlic powder
3 tbsp Sriracha
3 tbsp ground black pepper

Bring to a boil in a large pot, then remove from heat.  Once cooled, refrigerate until cold and then add pork loin; I'm using a brining vessel but you could easily add the cold brine and pork loin to a brining bag, thought I'd put it in a Pyrex baking dish to avoid leaks.

Brine pork in the refrigerator for at least 24 hours up to 48; 36 is my window due to the time of the cookout.  Thoroughly rinse the pork loin, pat dry and add binding agent (mustard, molasses, bacon fat, etc.) and a spice rub.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 07:40:15 PM by UWFSAE »
Joe from Houston, TX
Proud owner of a Smokin-It #3!

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: Brown Sugar Pork Brine
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2013, 10:15:47 PM »
Sounds like you have it nailed!
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Brown Sugar Pork Brine
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2013, 09:47:26 AM »
I've never injected a loin, but this sounds really good! 
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!