Author Topic: Ok, I'm gonna do it.  (Read 9978 times)

Spence

Ok, I'm gonna do it.
« on: July 27, 2013, 12:35:29 AM »
Have always used the 3-2-1 method but thanks to the positive encouragement on here I going to cook 5 racks of ribs tomorrow on my number 3 without foiling.  A leap of faith with company on their way!
Alabama Chain Smoker

UWFSAE

• Smoker, Griller, & International Man of Mystery
Re: Ok, I'm gonna do it.
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2013, 01:00:06 AM »
A bit of spritzing with apple juice wouldn't hurt if you get concerned about surface moisture.  I will tell you that when I do an unfoiled smoke (which is the majority of the time) I typically apply a layer of sauce at the four hour mark.  Just remember ... leave the door shut for at least the first three hours of the smoke, just as you would with the 3-2-1; if you're feeling brave, keep it shut for 4.5 hours and then sauce.

Best of luck Spence ... please let us know how it goes for you. 
Joe from Houston, TX
Proud owner of a Smokin-It #3!

smokeasaurus

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2013, 09:42:36 AM »
You could always place a little container with hot water in it right up next to the smoke box for a little added moisture....but I don't think you will need it except for a little pc of mind  ;)

Spence

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2013, 02:16:12 PM »
Got 'em on and smoking.  I brushed on mustard before the rub and refrigerated over night in plastic wrap so they were pretty moist going in.  Think I'll use your 4.5 hour recommendation then sauce.  I'll post the results.  Thanks guys.
Alabama Chain Smoker

UWFSAE

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2013, 05:36:12 PM »
I think I speak for everyone when I say we're looking forward to seeing pics, Spense.  Hope it is going well ...
Joe from Houston, TX

Spence

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2013, 10:25:15 PM »
As promised, smoked 4.5 hours without foiling then sauced and cooked about another 45 minutes. 

Observations:

Ribs were of a much smokier appearance than when foil wrapped during the process.  (nothing wrong with that, just an observation).  Makes me certain though that the one piece of hickory dowel that came with my number 3 along with the one chunk of apple I used was plenty of wood!

Ribs were not "falling off the bone" but plenty tender and enjoyed by my company.  Much more like the texture looked for during KCBS judging events for ribs.  Additionally they were much easier to handle and flip during the saucing as well as the final take up.

So, all in all, I would judge it to be a success.  I might experiment with a small water pan or spritzing with apple juice during the process just to see how those methods compare.  After all, isn't that illusive pursuit of perfection what we're all striving for?  ;D

Thanks to those that offered up advice and encouragement!   Oh, and I did take a picture but the lighting was such that it didn't do it justice.
Alabama Chain Smoker

UWFSAE

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2013, 11:26:58 PM »
Glad it was a success Spence.  I prefer a little bite to my ribs but "falling off the bone" is probably the more popular experience.  Throwing the sauced ribs on the grill or under the broiler after the smoke is done really takes ribs over the top as well.

Out of curiosity, did you measure out the amount of wood?  These things are so efficient that 4-5 ounces should have been ample for eight racks of babybacks; ultimately, so long as the flavor had no bitterness from oversmoking it sounds like you were spot on.
Joe from Houston, TX

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2013, 09:06:36 AM »
Way to go, Spence!  Pretty bold using 5 racks on your first "experiment!"  I LIKE it!  I believe in bold! ;D   And, your guests probably thought they were the best ribs they've ever tasted!  I've found that some of my "so-so" results (in my mind) are still met with rave reviews by others.  Many people are conditioned to some of the crappy stuff they get at restaurants, and we're a lot harder on ourselves than others are. 
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

smokeasaurus

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2013, 09:10:19 AM »
Glad your ribs came out good.

bigboy74

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2013, 10:24:37 PM »
Sounds like a winner to me.

Thin Blue

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2013, 08:58:45 AM »
Congrats on the ribs Spence.  :)
What temp did you run your #3 at?
Baby Backs, Spares, or St. Louis cut?
Did you rotate the shelves?
If not, did you notice any difference in the doneness of the ribs.
Sorry for all the questions, at some point, I would like try 9 slab of St. Louis cuts in the #3.
I am trying to glen all the info I can. I would like to keep it simple. Rub, cook, eat (RCE).
Thanks.
Have: Tejas stick burner roll top and a Smokin-it #3 w/ Auber

Had: Brinkmann vertical charcoal, wore out; Old Smoky, not to my liking sold; Brinkmann Pro offset, gave to friend;  Sams Club propane smoker, junk, returned to SAMs; 2 Brinkmann vertical electric, wore out.

Spence

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2013, 09:49:52 AM »
Thanks,
Smoked at 225 using small dowel of hickory and small chunk of cherry.  Used St Louis cut.  I did not rotate racks, just left unopened for 4.5 hours before saucing.  No noticeable degree in doneness between racks.  Here is a picture just before saucing.  I may just go with apple wood next time to experiment.
Alabama Chain Smoker

Thin Blue

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2013, 10:21:17 AM »
Wow, look great.  :)

So far I have cooked butt, salmon and brisket on the #3. All with good results.

I have not cooked ribs yet. Looks like I got to do it.

Thanks,
Have: Tejas stick burner roll top and a Smokin-it #3 w/ Auber

Had: Brinkmann vertical charcoal, wore out; Old Smoky, not to my liking sold; Brinkmann Pro offset, gave to friend;  Sams Club propane smoker, junk, returned to SAMs; 2 Brinkmann vertical electric, wore out.

Spence

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2013, 07:13:31 PM »
Oh yeah, you gotta do it!  Let us know how they turn out.
Alabama Chain Smoker

UWFSAE

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2013, 07:21:05 PM »
Thin Blue, ribs are my hands down favorite on this smoker, with pork butt being a close second.  I always recommend people give St. Louis cut a go as they have so much more to work with over babybacks ...

Those are good looking bones, Spence!
Joe from Houston, TX