Author Topic: Soy & Bourbon Beef Marinade  (Read 6302 times)

UWFSAE

• Smoker, Griller, & International Man of Mystery
Soy & Bourbon Beef Marinade
« on: July 24, 2013, 08:41:43 PM »
I've been trying to find some decent beef ribs for almost two weeks with no luck so far so I decided to switch gears and smoke a chuck roast for slicing.  I figure this will make KILLER French Dips ...

As usual, pics will follow.

Soy & Bourbon Marinade
1/4 cup soy sauce (Kimlan Ponlai is my brand of choice)
1/4 cup bourbon (I'm using Wild Turkey American Honey liqueur)
1/4 cup dark brown sugar
1/4 cup dijon mustard
3 tbsp minced garlic
3 tbsp minced onion
2 tbsp ground black pepper
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp crushed red pepper flakes
2 tsp beef base (Better Than Bouillon Beef Flavor is my brand of choice)

Whisk all ingredients until the thoroughly mixed and then pour over 3 lb. chuck roast in a one gallon Ziploc bag.  Massage the meat a bit throughout the marinating process and rotate bag after a few hours to allow for even exposure to the liquid, marinate for 10-12 hours.  Remove roast and apply a simply kosher salt and black pepper rub, put in the smoker at 225 with 4 oz. of hickory until 135 internal temperature.  Remove and refrigerate until cooled, slice very thinly and serve on garlic butter toasted hoagie rolls with a side of au jus.
Joe from Houston, TX
Proud owner of a Smokin-It #3!

Jerz

• Atlanta, GA
Re: Soy & Bourbon Beef Marinade
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2013, 09:46:37 AM »
hmmm.... I remember Chuck Roast as a kid growing up and it caused me to hate steaks because the cut we used to get tasted, well, like it was on special for two weeks after the expiration date... we were poor but I may have to revisit that... it really looks good...
Why reinvent the wheel?  Get yer smoke on....
Smokin' with the Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker for about a year.... Model 3 for a minute... Monitoring with the iGrill with the Android App... :D

UWFSAE

• Smoker, Griller, & International Man of Mystery
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2013, 10:41:10 AM »
If I do this again, I'm going to a higher temp and do pulled beef instead.  I figure the au jus mixed in will make a serious sammich.
Joe from Houston, TX
Proud owner of a Smokin-It #3!

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2013, 08:45:37 PM »
I've thought of doing a chuck roast, but worried about the tenderness and fat content.  Definitely let us know how this one turns out!  Sounds like a killer marinade!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!