Author Topic: Help!  (Read 10492 times)

Spence

Help!
« on: July 23, 2013, 10:39:22 PM »
Neighbor asked me to smoke a cured (fully cooked) ham for him.  I'd appreciate any suggestions on best way to do this.
Alabama Chain Smoker

bigboy74

Re: Help!
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2013, 11:19:20 PM »
That is a good question. I was talking to a buddy just the other day about doing a ham. He has not had much luck with ham. I am onboard for the responses to this post.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2013, 11:41:26 PM »
I've considered & researched smoking a fresh ham - curing and smoking, but never considered smoking a "fully-cooked" ham.  A few issues come to mind with this:  First, most cured/pre-cooked hams have either a) smoke flavor added, or b) solution added.  In my opinion (for what it's worth), both of these may detract from the finished product.  The other thing that pops into my head is that a "fully-cooked" ham is probably going to have a thick skin on it from the curing/cooking process; this will definitely inhibit how much smoke sit absorbs.  There are, of course, excellent hams out there that don't need to be "finished," like Petit-Jean brand in Arkansas - smoked hams with no additives or anything; just natural smoked hams that are absolutely fantastic!

Seems to me that trying to smoke a fully-cooked ham is like trying to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.  ;D   It'll be interesting to see other thoughts on this, though!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

bigboy74

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2013, 11:45:04 PM »
I am with you divot I would like to do a fresh ham. Someone has done it with good results.

UWFSAE

• Smoker, Griller, & International Man of Mystery
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2013, 12:09:00 AM »
Hmmm, I haven't done a smoked ham since college (my fraternity used to do smoked ham and fried turkey for the Meals on Wheels folks at Christmas) but it's actually a lot like a pork butt.

I personally prefer using bone-in hams.  Under penalty of death, avoid those pre-inected, glucose bathed, "ham product" abominations many grocery stores sell.  I think you should go to Sam's or Costco to find a decent size and quality since we're still well away from the holiday season; alternatively (and better yet) befriend a local butcher and see if he can get you a really nice Berkshire leg for this process.

If you purchase the uncured ham, you'll want a decent brine to inject ... a basic salt/sugar/water solution works but you'll need to add a little curing salt to the mix (not regular table or kosher ... must be a pink curing salt).  I'll look up the brands and link it if I can find it.  You then put it in a large bucket (like those 5 gallon construction buckets from HD that have good lids) and cover with brine and hold it for 3-4 weeks.  Rinse it and then trim the excess fat and the hock (both great for flavoring).

I'd use quite a bit of apple wood at 225 and based on my little DJ's cheatsheet you'll need to bring it to a 160 internal temp; I'd pull it at 155 and let it coast up a bit wrapped.  On the offset smoker we would start glazing it with molasses, Grade B maple syrup, or honey around the 120 degree mark and then add another layer of glaze every 60 minutes thereafter.

If you want to smoke it until it hits 140-145 and the pull it and let it glide through the stall in the oven you could even use Coca-Cola or red wine to baste the ham (that's the way my grandparents did it, at least).

The injection is ABSOLUTELY essential for getting the brine deep into the ham near the bone.  Considering you'll need nearly a month of prep in a refrigerator having a spare in the garage (we used a keg cooler in our party room for doing four big hams at a time) is a must.

Remember, you can still smoke a cured ham and it will have incredible flavor with a more traditional sugar/salt injection and the slow smoke with the glazing process I mentioned; so long as you don't pick up one of those "smoke flavor added" monstrosities I think the results are worth the labor and time savings.
Joe from Houston, TX
Proud owner of a Smokin-It #3!

DivotMaker

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2013, 07:24:43 PM »
Hehe.... I KNEW Joe would have a good ham recipe!  Ha! ;D ;D   Nice...
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

Spence

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2013, 07:51:36 PM »
Yes indeed, thanks for your help and sage advice.  So very nice to have a wealth of knowledge and experience to draw upon! 
Alabama Chain Smoker

UWFSAE

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2013, 08:10:57 PM »
Just a word to the wise about this ... I haven't made one of these since around 1996 and we were lucky enough to have one of our local fraternity alums who owned several restaurants and a catering company walk us through the process.  I emailed him and he said be absolutely sure if you're curing your own ham to use #1 DC Instacure Salt (it's pink) and that TenderQuick can be used in a pinch.

All that being said, smoking a sugar cured (but unsmoked) ham will still yield exceptional results; even a spiral sliced ham can be done this way.  Maybe doing this as a stopgap measure until you set aside a month to cure a ham yourself could be a good proof-of-concept?

Joe from Houston, TX

DivotMaker

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2013, 10:15:05 PM »
Good advice, Joe!  I didn't realize it took a month to cure one in brine.  Considering I don't have a vacant fridge that can withstand a 5-gallon bucket for a month, I'll probably have to go with the cured/un-smoked variety until I can find suitable cold storage!  I know my wife will appreciate that! ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas

bigboy74

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2013, 10:26:32 PM »
Divot I am in the same boat as you. I'll have to buy a pre cured/un-smoked ham.... If I had an extra fridge it would be used for home brewing.

DivotMaker

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2013, 10:36:12 PM »
Divot I am in the same boat as you. I'll have to buy a pre cured/un-smoked ham.... If I had an extra fridge it would be used for home brewing.

Hmmm... another hobby I would love to try, but know it probably wouldn't go over so well! :o
Tony from NW Arkansas

UWFSAE

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2013, 10:39:41 PM »
I've helped with home brewing before and the next house I buy will hopefully have room for this type of setup ...

http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/

Electric Brewing + Electric Smoking = 21st Century Epicurean
Joe from Houston, TX

bigboy74

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2013, 10:51:26 PM »
Nothing like a cold home brew and hot home made bbq!  I would like to have a dedicated brewing room!

DivotMaker

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2013, 11:00:27 PM »
As you would say, Joe, sweet baby cheeses!  Is there anything you haven't done??  Dos XX should re-cast their "most interesting man in the world" character!!  Wow.
Tony from NW Arkansas

bigboy74

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2013, 11:09:24 PM »
As you would say, Joe, sweet baby cheeses!  Is there anything you haven't done??  Dos XX should re-cast their "most interesting man in the world" character!!  Wow.
Haha! That's funny! He is a very interesting man with awesome advice!