Author Topic: Rudy's Copycat Sauce -or- "Sause"  (Read 4961 times)

lcdearman

Rudy's Copycat Sauce -or- "Sause"
« on: April 26, 2021, 08:15:37 AM »
Rudy's is a regional BBQ chain that started in Boerne TX from humble beginnings. It was a gas station/convenience store and the owner cooked meat out back and sold it by the pound. As the chain grew, they continued that format but streamlined it so you didn't have to wait in one line for meat and another for sides and drinks. The brisket and other meats are good, they have great creamed corn, but for me, it is their sauce, or as they call it, "sause". I've been known to eat sause sandwiches if there is bread left at the end of the meal. I made this copycat sauce a couple of days ago from a recipe I found on the internet, and it is really simple and really good IMHO. Enjoy!

8 oz can of tomato sauce
1/2 cup catsup
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 1/2 tablespoons white vinegar
2 tablespoons Worcestershire
2 tablespoons lemon or lime juice
1 teaspoon cracked pepper
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon cumin
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Combine ingredients and cook on low heat for 30 minutes. Sweet with a little bite to it.
Clay from Taylor, TX
SI #2 with Auber AW-ST1510H-W
Weber Spirit II
Orion Cooker

barelfly

Re: Rudy's Copycat Sauce -or- "Sause"
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2021, 12:54:23 PM »
Rudy’s is my spot to go when I want BBQ and can’t cook it. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Is this what you would call the sissy sause or regular?
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear

lcdearman

Re: Rudy's Copycat Sauce -or- "Sause"
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2021, 01:53:22 PM »
I've not heard of the sissy sause. This has a little bite to it, and you can adjust the cayenne as needed. I grew up in Louisiana with REAL tabasco sauce, not the stuff I find on the grocery store shelves that has no heat in it.

Rudy's is good, but being in the Austin area I have access to much better, like Franklin's, Style Switch, all of the different Black's BBQ, Southside Market, Louie Mueller, etc.
Clay from Taylor, TX
SI #2 with Auber AW-ST1510H-W
Weber Spirit II
Orion Cooker