Author Topic: Large Brisket in the #1  (Read 1902 times)

Jonny

Large Brisket in the #1
« on: April 17, 2020, 02:52:27 PM »
Hello!

I have an 8 1/2 lb brisket that is a little too large to fit on a rack in the #1. I was wondering how I should cut the brisket to fit on two racks or if that is a bad idea.

Any other things to consider when cooking a large piece of meat in the #1? Are smaller briskets a good idea? I passed on a 3 lb brisket because I thought that smaller pieces wouldn't work well.

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: Large Brisket in the #1
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2020, 03:33:25 PM »
If the flat is thin enough, you could fold it back under the point; maybe tying it in place with butchers twine.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Lonzinomaker

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2020, 09:27:44 PM »
Agree with Old Sarge.  Fold the thin potion under. No need to tie.
Dave
Smokin-It #3 main smoker.
1400 Smokin Tex (same size as #2) for Snowbird time.
Smokin-It #1 for camping trips.
Big Chief with mailbox mod for cheese smoking
Blackstone 22in griddle with Bakerstone pizza oven
Spokane, WA

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2020, 04:05:58 PM »
You can fold it as others have mentioned or I've had good luck with cutting in two equal portions with the point, fat-cap down on the lower rack and the flat, fat-cap up on the upper rack.  I've also put them in a little diagonally in the #2 and let them barely touch the corners, though I'm not sure the #1 has much diagonal to it.  Ultimately, there's not really a wrong answer as long as you don't block the smoke holes or completely cover the rack(s) where there is no airflow.
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2020, 01:34:33 PM »
Hi Jonny,

I am curious as to how your brisket turned out?

I am in the same boat as the others here about folding over the thinner end of the flat. If you are not that far away from fitting it on the rack, you can just push it in and as it smokes it will shrink a bit and may end up fitting fine on the rack post-smoke.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.