Author Topic: Pulled Brisket  (Read 12457 times)

smokeasaurus

Pulled Brisket
« on: July 05, 2013, 10:35:32 AM »
What better way to break in the new and improved #3 with a super long overnight brisket cook

Trimmed the brisket heavily since I want to pull it

Rubbed with Wooster and Tri Tip Mans Kickin' Cowboy Rub

All rubbed and ready to rest in the fridge and get happy until Saturday night.......................

Thin Blue

Re: Pulled Brisket
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2013, 12:00:36 PM »
Look'n good. Thick Worcestershire, cool idea, got try that.
 :)
Have: Tejas stick burner roll top and a Smokin-it #3 w/ Auber

Had: Brinkmann vertical charcoal, wore out; Old Smoky, not to my liking sold; Brinkmann Pro offset, gave to friend;  Sams Club propane smoker, junk, returned to SAMs; 2 Brinkmann vertical electric, wore out.

smokeasaurus

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2013, 12:03:39 PM »
The thick wooster has the consistency of steak sauce. I used to get more of the thin wooster on the cutting board than i used to get on the meat. I also like the thick wooster because when you add the rub to it, it turns into a thick paste that really sticks to the meat  :)

Thin Blue

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2013, 12:30:01 PM »
Great idea, thanks for sharing.

I have learned a lot from everyone's posts on this forum.   :)
Have: Tejas stick burner roll top and a Smokin-it #3 w/ Auber

Had: Brinkmann vertical charcoal, wore out; Old Smoky, not to my liking sold; Brinkmann Pro offset, gave to friend;  Sams Club propane smoker, junk, returned to SAMs; 2 Brinkmann vertical electric, wore out.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2013, 07:17:44 PM »
That looks like it'll be great, Smoke!  Care to share your cooking process for pulled brisket, as opposed to sliced?  Different temps, times, etc.?  I see it looks like you're doing a flat only; can you use a full packer for pulled, or is the flat better?  Sorry for so many questions, but you've definitely peaked my interest!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

smokeasaurus

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2013, 07:58:39 PM »
That is a full briskie. I cut out the fat that separates the deckle and the flat. The trick to cooking a brisket to pull is a super long slo cook. Gonna start her tomorrow evening at 160 and let her ride all night. Maybe around the 170 internal temp point, I will bump up the smoker to 225 and will pull it at 200 internal. The long slo moist heat will turn this big hunk of tough cow meat into bovine butter  ;D

DivotMaker

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2013, 09:14:26 PM »
Wow, what a plan!  The picture's a little deceiving; couldn't see the point til I looked a little closer.  How much does that little piece of bovine butter weigh, and how long you figure for the entire cook?   :P
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

smokeasaurus

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2013, 10:36:41 AM »
After trimming I figure it is around 11 lbs and I am figuring 18-20 hours total cooking time.

DivotMaker

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2013, 07:13:19 PM »
My mouth's watering!  Can't wait to see some pics of the finished delicacy tomorrow night!
Tony from NW Arkansas

smokeasaurus

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2013, 10:39:30 PM »
It is 7:30 p.m. on the West Coast. Do you know where your briskie is?  Yup, in the #3 for an all night ride at 160. The Kickin Cowboy Rub and thick wooster made a wonderful coffee, spicy smelling paste........ got 3 hunks of pecan in the wood box......my mouth is watering too divotmaker and I just had supper  ;D

UWFSAE

• Smoker, Griller, & International Man of Mystery
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2013, 10:56:53 PM »
Very interesting technique ... I wonder how that would work with a corned beef to do a pulled pastrami?

By the way, please post the finished brisket using the Smell-o-Vision app.   ;D
Joe from Houston, TX
Proud owner of a Smokin-It #3!

smokeasaurus

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2013, 12:28:32 AM »
Very interesting technique ... I wonder how that would work with a corned beef to do a pulled pastrami?

By the way, please post the finished brisket using the Smell-o-Vision app.   ;D

They need to invent a scratch and sniff computer monitor.......... ;D ;D

afratki

• Owner: Smokin-It #1
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2013, 08:34:22 AM »
Can't wait to see the results!
Andrew from Maryland

Let's Smoke!

smokeasaurus

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2013, 09:23:22 AM »
I got out to the smoker at 6 a.m. and after 10.5 hours the internal on the brisket is 127. Got the smoker set to 200 now for the rest of the day. There will be no foiling. I read about a trick at another electric smoker forum where you set your smoker to 140 for a hold and your meat will tenderize. My buddy swears by it so if the briskie gets to target temp a little early, I will try that.........

DivotMaker

« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2013, 09:32:34 AM »
Oh my!  Bet that's definitely going to be worth the long wait!  Bad enough smelling one cook for 12-13 hours, let alone 20!  Cool tip about the 140 hold; makes sense that it would work!  Please send me a link for the scratch-and-sniff monitor when you find one!! ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas