Author Topic: One of my two Anovas crapped out  (Read 2687 times)

prudentsmoker

One of my two Anovas crapped out
« on: October 14, 2018, 02:08:37 PM »
Is Anova still the way to go?

Thanks in advance,
Prudent Smoker
Brian from Wichita

sweetride95

Re: One of my two Anovas crapped out
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2018, 11:56:41 AM »
I'm not sure there's very much variation in circulators in that price range. I've had my bluetooth Anova a few months now. Liking it more and more.
How long did your one run before going bad?
Ben from IN
SI#2
Webber LP
Anova sous vide noob
23+ yr Machinist/EDM Rm Supervisor

prudentsmoker

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2018, 02:20:30 PM »
3 or 4 years, I think.
Brian from Wichita

Limey

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2018, 09:23:44 PM »
I've had a couple of Anovas for three or four years now. Some issues with the Bluetooth/Wifi but I don't really use those anyway. Otherwise they have worked great.
Roger from the Florida Keys.
Two SI#3s, both with switched bypass and Aubers(different locations), Viking, Jenn Aire & five TEC infra red grills. Recently acquired UDS.

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2018, 11:06:39 AM »
I have watched some reviews and "my conclusion" was that the Anova still seemed like the way to go. But, that is just me. ;)

I have had mine now for about 2 years I think and still going strong.

Here is one of the better reviews that I found from one of my favorite YouTuber's. If you don't watch the Sous Vide Everything guy's videos, you should. They are hilarious and have some pretty interesting videos with a lot of comparison videos where they try different methods and then review and compare the results after the cook.

Best SOUS VIDE Machine - Anova, Joule, Sansaire, PolyScience, Sous Vide Supreme
Sous Vide Everything YouTube Channel
Guga Foods YouTube Channel (Guga is one of the Sous Vide Everything guys that has his own channel)

Hopefully this will help you a little bit.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

sweetride95

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2018, 11:53:50 AM »
I have watched some reviews and "my conclusion" was that the Anova still seemed like the way to go. But, that is just me. ;)

Here is one of the better reviews that I found from one of my favorite YouTuber's. If you don't watch the Sous Vide Everything guy's videos, you should. They are hilarious and have some pretty interesting videos with a lot of comparison videos where they try different methods and then review and compare the results after the cook.

Guga Foods YouTube Channel (Guga is one of the Sous Vide Everything guys that has his own channel)

I watch those guys every video that comes out. Guga, Ninja, ans Momo are hilarious. Great examples of a variety of meats. Not sure I'll be doing any wagu tomahawks any time soon, but the guys are great. 
Ben from IN
SI#2
Webber LP
Anova sous vide noob
23+ yr Machinist/EDM Rm Supervisor

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2018, 05:17:16 PM »

I watch those guys every video that comes out. Guga, Ninja, ans Momo are hilarious. Great examples of a variety of meats. Not sure I'll be doing any wagu tomahawks any time soon, but the guys are great.

+1 on their Wagyu experiments. About the only thing that I can do is live vicariously through their Wagyu videos. ;)

I am planning on getting a Picanha roast soon though and trying one of those. Not sure if I will smoke prior to Sous Vide or not yet.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

prudentsmoker

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2018, 07:54:25 PM »
I decided to try a less expensive one https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MTV4EQ7/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

There were complaints that it did not maintain temps, but my test proved that it did. I will make it my primary since it is under warranty. Will advise how well it works.

Brian from Wichita