Author Topic: Has anyone tried to brine pork ribs ???  (Read 2704 times)

polarlys

Has anyone tried to brine pork ribs ???
« on: October 21, 2017, 11:10:08 AM »
I was just wondering if anyone has attempted to brine pork ribs ??   When I make ribs I usually get them at BJ's or Costco.   After applying a dry rub I put them back into the plastic bag they came in and let them sit in the reefer overnight or at least 8-10 hrs before smoking them.   Seems to work well and we've been very pleased with the end result.   I just was wondering,  if you were planning to do more than a few racks would it be more efficient to make a brine and let them soak awhile.  Maybe, just MAYBE, there's good reason to not do this  but can't think of one so hoping for some insight here.

Thanks All, 
Roger from NJ
Roger from NJ
Somerset, NJ
retired Police Officer
retired Air Nat'l. Guard
US Army '69-'72 (20th Engineers Vietnam)
SI-3d

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
Re: Has anyone tried to brine pork ribs ???
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2017, 11:24:31 AM »
I do not brine ribs and I don't recall anyone on the forum that has brined.   I would doubt that a brine is necessary.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

JustChillin

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2017, 11:47:53 AM »
This previous post by Greg might be helpful.

http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=3385.msg26964#msg26964
David from Roswell,GA. My tools currently include the SI #2 with an Auber, Grill Dome, Solaire 27", Holland Grill (Companion) & Weber (Smokey Joe). The Companion & SJ are primarily used for tailgating.

polarlys

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2017, 02:44:54 PM »
ThanX for passing that along.   Made for some interesting reading.   The thought came to me when I was thinking about maybe doing 6 or 8 racks in a few weeks and if it would reduce labor.   Have to give it some more thought.   Might be worth it.
Roger from NJ
Somerset, NJ
retired Police Officer
retired Air Nat'l. Guard
US Army '69-'72 (20th Engineers Vietnam)
SI-3d

Walt

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2017, 10:15:04 AM »
I have thrown some ribs in the brine with a pork shoulder. I can't say I noticed a difference in the outcome. It definitely won't hurt but I'm not sure if the benefit is noticeable.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill