Author Topic: 3D should arrive today.  (Read 2557 times)

Whens Lunch

3D should arrive today.
« on: November 10, 2016, 04:41:07 PM »
Looking forward to getting started.  I've had an electric smoker before (an old bullet type), but never spent much time with it.....I plan on changing that with all the help that appears to be available here.

I've poured over this forum and I'm looking forward to being part of this community and hope someday to have something valuable to contribute.

In the meantime, I'll mind my manners, ask a few questions, and learn from the experts.

Thanks!

Randy in San Antonio
« Last Edit: November 10, 2016, 04:45:28 PM by Whens Lunch »
Randy - San Antonio

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
Re: 3D should arrive today.
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2016, 06:05:38 PM »
Welcome from ND Randy!

Choosing Smokin-It and coming to this forum were both excellent choices to begin this journey into high-quality electric smoker hobby.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

drains

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2016, 07:35:57 PM »
Welcome from East Texas Randy!  +1 on what Gregg said. Solid build, temp control and customer service that cant be beat. Enjoy!
Dale from East Texas
Smokin It #3

Limey

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2016, 07:37:57 PM »
Hi Randy and welcome from the Keys. You will love your 3D. the #3s are imo the ideal size-not too big, not too little (others will disagree!). Anyway welcome to the forum; lots of good information and friendly folks.
Roger from the Florida Keys.
Two SI#3s, both with switched bypass and Aubers(different locations), Viking, Jenn Aire & five TEC infra red grills. Recently acquired UDS.

Whens Lunch

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2016, 07:59:14 PM »
Thanks for the welcome.....I just finished getting it out of its boxes. That was a small project in itself.  Packed pretty tight.   Trying to be quiet while my wife was taking a nap.

Its assembled and waiting for compliments on its beauty in the entryway.  I still need to get the last of the styrofoam before my wife wakes up, though.
Randy - San Antonio

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2016, 08:38:18 PM »
Randy - Welcome from SE Arizona. Those little flecks of styrofoam seem to generate static and hide everywhere. Enjoy your new smoker.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2016, 07:51:27 AM »
Welcome from Delaware, Randy!   You will love the 3D.  Cheers
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

Whens Lunch

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2016, 06:51:10 PM »
Thanks again all....seasoning in progress.
Randy - San Antonio

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2016, 08:44:03 PM »
Welcome, neighbor!!  Congrats on the 3D - GREAT choice!  You'll be able to smoke lots of "Texas-size" briskets in that bad hombre!  Great to have you with us!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2016, 12:17:05 AM »
Welcome and congrats on your 3D!
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

Whens Lunch

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2016, 05:47:04 PM »
Again....thanks for the welcome.  Finally getting started today.

Brined a couple of approx 6lb chickens this morning using Tony's recipe for poultry.  Put a reg rub on one and a spicy rub on the other.

About 3pm I set the 3D to 250 and the food probe at 165.  My wife got me a ThermoWorks "Smoke"  so thats also set up to monitor cook temp and the temp in the smaller of the two birds.  so I'm watching football on  the other side of the house from the patio.  Still have to check every so often to check on the 3D's controller,  but WOW this is easy.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2016, 05:54:35 PM by Whens Lunch »
Randy - San Antonio