Author Topic: First Smoke in the 3, What will yours be?  (Read 11133 times)

SmokedLoon

Re: First Smoke in the 3, What will yours be?
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2015, 11:32:50 PM »
DM
Well I must have tried it years ago to decide I did not like it.
I have probably tried 200 kinds of mustard, never run out of options in the German Midwest or get back to the ones I like. My son consumes ketchup it by the cubic yard.  I did however like fries with curry ketchup from the gut truck some 30 years ago... I guess I will like ketchup with vinegar onion,garlic, spices smoke...etc...

I recognize it is a base for many fine sauces. I will try yours when I find or make ketchup without corn syrup. Vinegar makes me think Lexington style...

Did I read right that you've never had Ketchup???  How is that even possible?  lol.  Anyways, here's a ketchup/vinegar-based sauce that is my family's favorite!

St Louis-style BBQ Sauce

Give it a try, and let me know what you think!
Matt, Wauwatosa WI
Smokin It #3, Camp Chef Big Gas Grill, CharBroil Big Easy, IRODA I-1000 Picnic Grill...Recovering former Charcoal Bullet Smoker :-)

"I fondly remember seeing that first wisp of smoke coming from my #3 and me thinking oh yeah, I made the right choice."...NDKoze

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2015, 06:02:22 PM »
I will try yours when I find or make ketchup without corn syrup. Vinegar makes me think Lexington style...

Hunt's 100% Natural Ketchup - no high fructose corn syrup.  Only ketchup I'll buy.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

RG

« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2015, 07:02:29 PM »
It seems that I am destined to do a rack of baby backs or more correctly, loin back ribs. That was the first thing I smoked in my first Big Steel Keg, the first thing I smoked in my Traeger. It seems only right that I stick with tradition ;)

DivotMaker

« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2015, 07:21:34 PM »
Sounds like a good tradition, RG! ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

RG

« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2015, 07:07:30 PM »
Well shoot! It looks like I am going to break the tradition and forgo the ribs. I was planning on smoking a butt for some friends for Good Friday, was going to put it on one of the kegs but as luck would have it, the #3 came today so.....change of plans!

I did the DM brine on a wittle bitty 6.5 butt, gonna slap that sucker in the SI sometime tonight after the seasoning is done and it has cooled down and let it ride! I'll update once I get to taste that rascal!

DivotMaker

« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2015, 09:41:48 PM »
Great news, RG!  Let us know how you like the brined baby butt! (lol). 
Tony from NW Arkansas

RG

« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2015, 06:22:49 AM »
Will do DM! Good, bad, or indifferent I'll post my honest opinion of what I think about it. I have to say, I am shocked by how little wood you guys say to use for smoke. I put 5oz in for the butt and was worried that it was way too small of an amount. As it turns out, maybe 5oz is too much for a butt that small (again, blowing my mind!) so I hope it turns out properly smoked.

DivotMaker

« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2015, 10:06:36 PM »
Good deal, Jason!  We're here to blow your mind, and open it to the world of Lazy Q and the perfect smoker! ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas

SmokedLoon

« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2015, 03:29:45 PM »
3rd smoke in the SI3 Steel Head for Easter. Looks good taste TBD....Update it was fantastic!

Easy smokin!

Matt

« Last Edit: April 04, 2015, 08:40:21 PM by SmokedLoon »
Matt, Wauwatosa WI
Smokin It #3, Camp Chef Big Gas Grill, CharBroil Big Easy, IRODA I-1000 Picnic Grill...Recovering former Charcoal Bullet Smoker :-)

"I fondly remember seeing that first wisp of smoke coming from my #3 and me thinking oh yeah, I made the right choice."...NDKoze

Specks

• Now I can go fishing and smoke a butt - dang-it
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2015, 05:39:26 PM »
First pork butt on the SI3. The meat stalled at 153 and I had some time constraints so I foil wrapped it with a shot of apple cider. Temps rose steadily from there - pulled it at 200 IT, wrapped in a towel in the cooler for 90 minutes. After cutting the twine off the bone pulled right out. After pulling I poured what was left in the foil over the pork. Turned out better than I could have imagined - the family and guests loved it. Thanks for all the great advise from the forum members. Next - another pork butt in 10 days for my old running buddies who are coming down to crappie fish here on KY lake....
Jim, from Paducah KY - Bourbon & Moonshine Country
Smokin-it #3 w/ Auber, bypass & switch
TEC Infrared 36" Grill
Cajun Fryer, 4 gallon
48" Brinkman charcoal grill (former offset smoker)

Specks

• Now I can go fishing and smoke a butt - dang-it
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2015, 07:44:46 PM »
Matt - that steelhead looks crazy good.
Jim, from Paducah KY - Bourbon & Moonshine Country
Smokin-it #3 w/ Auber, bypass & switch
TEC Infrared 36" Grill
Cajun Fryer, 4 gallon
48" Brinkman charcoal grill (former offset smoker)

SmokedLoon

« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2015, 08:02:53 PM »
Jim
It was crazy good!
In general Steelhead stands out over Salmon with some intangible qualities that I favor.  The Smokin-It3 makes it super easy.  Large fish was what pushed me into the 3 and I have no regrets! The form 15x20+ rack factor is great! 

I do want to obtain some of the Western Red Alder to try in lieu of the Apple Wood on the next Steelhead run in the SI3.

By the way your pulled pork with the cider crutch smoked mine. That looks 27.44% more moist!  Mine was very good but that looks great!

Regards,

Matt
« Last Edit: April 06, 2015, 08:06:04 PM by SmokedLoon »
Matt, Wauwatosa WI