Author Topic: Take the guesswork out of wet brining  (Read 5668 times)

Toni Baloney

• Thank heaven for little grills
Take the guesswork out of wet brining
« on: December 19, 2014, 01:08:39 PM »
As I (impatiently) wait for my SI-1 to show up on Monday, I’ve been searching online for anything/everything I can find on smoking salmon (what I have planned for my new smoker’s maiden voyage).  I’ve seen hundreds of recipes, and hundreds of contradictions regarding the strength of the brine solution and the cure time.  Flavoring the brine with sugar, spice and other flavorings is a matter of personal taste and I can sort through on my own, but I what I wanted to know was:

1) how much salt?
2) how much water?
3) how much time in the brine for salmon or other meats?

I couldn’t find a consistent answer until today when I happened onto this website.  It has the most comprehensive and useful information on this topic that I have seen yet, and it includes all types of meats.  I didn’t take the time to scour this forum to see if this site has already been found/shared by another member, but if it hasn’t, here ya go:

http://www.meatsandsausages.com/sausage-making/curing/making-brine

The brine-making section isn’t the only useful information – it’s a treasure trove of information about all things meats – smoked, barbequed, cured. 

I'm headed to Amazon to order a salinometer. . .
. . . Tonⓘ from Boise

• I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat only vegetables.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Take the guesswork out of wet brining
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2014, 07:21:15 PM »
Toni,

That's a good site, but there's an easier way.  All you need is a digital scale, and the calculator that's linked here:

http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=1504.0

This will explain the difference between gradient and equilibrium brines.  Equilibrium brining produces extremely consistent results, and very repeatable.  Let me know if you have any questions!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Toni Baloney

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2014, 07:27:50 PM »
Well, waddaya know - the information was right under my nose.

Thanks.

. . . Tonⓘ from Boise

DivotMaker

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2014, 07:36:30 PM »
No problem, Toni!  Ain't much we haven't tackled here!
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

Toni Baloney

I have a question . . .
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2014, 11:12:52 AM »
Thanks again for this information and the link to the Stella Culinary page that explains it all.  My plan now is to use an equilibrium brine (with other flavorings) for the salmon I have planned for my new smoker's maiden voyage.  I have one question left, though, that I don't see the answer to here or elsewhere. 

Inasmuch as the equilibrium brine means that it's impossible over-salt meat, I wonder if I should skip rinsing the brine from the surface of the meat when it's removed from the brine.  I understand why rinsing is done to salmon brined for a specified time in a stronger solution and subject to a rest (pellicle) before smoking, but it seems to me that washing off an equilibrium brine from the surface of fish serves no purpose and could possibly dilute the salt balance.

Any thoughts?
. . . Tonⓘ from Boise

DivotMaker

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2014, 07:23:43 PM »
Toni, I don't have any experience with smoking salmon - not really a fish guy.  But, I give a surface rinse to anything I brine, to eliminate excess salt at the surface.  That way, it doesn't interfere with salt in the rub.  With a mild equilibrium brine, it may not be necessary.
Tony from NW Arkansas

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2014, 06:30:07 AM »
Regardless of the type of brine or dry cure, rinse the fish and pat dry with paper towels. Place it on racks in the fridge to dry and form a the pellicle, don't rush this step.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2014, 11:46:54 PM »
Mr Baloney,

I have forgotten to rinse the brine off on salmon, pork and beef in the past.  I have to say the the meats were saltier but not horribly so.  Salmon the least noticible. 

Check out the seafood section.  I have used the recipe (or variations thereof) of the one that after you brine, you baste the salmon with maple syrup... It has become my family's favorite.  I have also used it with ling fish and it has been equally delectable. 

I doubt you will go wrong with whatever you smoke!  Enjoy!
Smokin-it #3, Napolean Prestige Pro 500 Grill, Anova WiFi Precision Cooker (Sous Vide)
The Woodlands, Texas