Author Topic: Customer service questions  (Read 3298 times)

TJ

Customer service questions
« on: July 07, 2014, 10:36:07 AM »
Hello all,
I am in the market for a new smoker and one of the choices is the Smokin-It #3. As a potential owner I would like to hear from you owners about how well you are treated after the sale if any issues pop up.
First off, if you call will someone answer the phone or call you back the same day?
If anything needs to be replaced under the three year warranty does the company cover shipping both ways?

One issue I been reading about is units (not just Smokin-it smokers) not reaching the max temperature quoted. If this happens will the company stand behind it and get it fixed no matter how many times parts might need to be swapped out?

Appreciate any input. If I am going to spend almost $650 including shipping I want to be sure I am buying a quality product.
Crossville Tennessee

DiggingDogFarm

Re: Customer service questions
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2014, 11:02:15 AM »
I own two Smokin-It smokers a #1 and a #4.
I'm very happy with both.
I haven't had any problems with them reaching temperature and I haven't found a need to alter either smoker in any way.
I've always received a prompt response to any questions or concerns, not always the same day (folks get busy) but within a reasonable amount of time.
The LED light stopped working on my #1 (a metal post broke off)...I received a replacement within a few short days via Fed-Ex.

I'm now considering getting a #3.
~Martin

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2014, 12:05:03 PM »
I have had no issues. Steve has been very helpful with information and correcting a mix up on my first wood order. I had asked for sugar maple and he sent cherry, now I have both. It is a small thing but a nice gesture. I told him to ship the replacement wood slow to shave him a couple buck, he ignored that and I had it in 48 hours.

I think a lot ot the "Temperature Issues" we read about are a bit on the obsessive compulsive nature. People think because the dial say 235 it should be 235 NOW and not vary. The element heats and cools, it will hit 235 on the way up and down. It will average 235. If you feel the need consistent rock solid temps then yes you must modify the machine. I have not done so and am very happy.

BUY IT, everyday you think about it is a day without BBQ.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2014, 03:00:01 PM »
TJ- Here is the info from SI's FAQ.  It is pretty liberal.  3 years.  This is a good warranty, and the return policy is reasonable as well.

You can find out about the temperature swings in the FAQ as well. Analog smokers like this do have swings of high and low and so state in their FAQ.

Q: What is the return and warranty policy?

A: 30-Day Money Back Guarantee: We accept returns for replacement or a full refund 30 calendar days after delivery of the product. At our sole discretion after 30 calendar days, we will offer a replacement or a full refund. Items must be in "new, unaltered and unused condition". Definition of new, unaltered and unused condition is: without showing signs of wear or damage in any way. If an item is received damaged or is incorrectly shipped by us please contact Customer Service immediately. Refunds are contingent upon inspection of item(s) once we receive it. Customer is responsible for all shipping costs.
Original Owner Limited Warranty Parts and Labor Only: This product is warranted against manufacturing defects in materials and workmanship for three year from the date of delivery to original owner. Within this period Smokin-It, LLC will send replacement parts for your product without charge. Simply contact us at smokin.it.info@gmail.com, or the phone number listed below.
Contact Us: P.O. Box 13423, 2711 West Market Street, Fairlawn, OH 44333.
Call, email or text any time to: 260-417-9951.

Hope this helps,

Dave
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

TJ

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2014, 04:48:37 PM »
A couple of you nice folks sent me messages or emails and I appreciate all the input. I am aware that temperatures can swing but no one told me if the S3 will have any issues reaching and maintaining 250F.

Any issues with it reaching 250F?
Crossville Tennessee

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2014, 05:31:33 PM »
I would think that based upon temp variations, it could temporarily overshoot 250 before shutting down.  Hopefully some out there with the 3 and an infrared thermometer can take a reading off a non-reflective dead load in their smoker after it has been running for a period of time.  And then there is the old Maverick check.  But from what I have read here in earlier posts and elsewhere, the unit works at the set temp.  It just runs over, shuts off and comes back on when the temp falls below the set point.  Cycles on and off reliably. Maybe when some folks get home from work you will get something more useful from them then this. I can say without reservation that my brothers is running fine, but I don't believe he has ever maxed it out; he sticks with 225/235.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2014, 07:22:50 PM »
Sorry I'm late to the party today, but I see your questions have been answered, TJ - you ordered one! ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Smokster

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2014, 12:06:06 AM »
Hey TJ, I have the #3 and I have never had a problem with. Y unit, it has run flawlessly with no issues. When I picked up the unit from Steve, I had a great discussion with him and he did stress that he stands by his products and if any issues, he will resolve.

Tony from Toronto
Smokin It and Lovin It