Author Topic: Big Fish From NY  (Read 17155 times)

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: Big Fish From NY
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2014, 08:10:01 PM »
Welcome Big Fish.

You won't go wrong with either the SI or the CS unit. They are both solid performers.  I understand your not wanting to go the slice and dice routine.  That is understandable. There are some good instructions within this forum on how to hardwire in a PID and still keep the option of analog.  Call it an either or solution. On the CS, if the controller dies, the smoker is dead, unless you as an analog controller as a backup (still the slice and dice). The same holds true with the SI unit.  Given the value, the SI provides more bang for the buck, plus the accessories are less expensive as are parts, should the need arise. The power cord is longer, a plus, and the wheels are larger, a real plus. Also look at rack size. Again you won't make a bad decision with either unit; they are both robust units, well insulated, well manufactured. It comes down to budget. and what you are comfortable with. If you go with the SI, think of all the meat you can purchase with the money saved! 

Best of luck in your decision and happy smoking.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Big Fish

« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2014, 08:45:11 PM »
I am passing on the Smokin-it. The customer support just isn't there (one guy answering a cell phone?). Not to offend anyone here, I am sure you guys love the product. Thanks for all your help.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2014, 08:57:42 PM »
Best of luck to you, Ernie.  Missing out on a great smoker! 
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Smokster

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2014, 09:01:13 PM »
Sorry to hear Ernie.  We are happy with our purchases, but at the end of the day, you have to be comfortable with your choice.  This is a start up company and we deal directly with the owner which keeps the cost down on these units, but no doubt in our minds that it's growing. Our forum keeps growing every day with new members and I've never had to call for service.

Well, happy smoking and maybe one day we will cross paths again.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 11:16:29 PM by Smokster »
Tony from Toronto
Smokin It and Lovin It

Big Fish

« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2014, 09:12:57 PM »
Thanks guys!

DiggingDogFarm

« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2014, 09:42:19 PM »
I am passing on the Smokin-it. The customer support just isn't there (one guy answering a cell phone?). Not to offend anyone here, I am sure you guys love the product. Thanks for all your help.

There are reasons why other manufacturers have legions of customer service personnel!!!!  :o

I wish you the best of luck!

~Martin

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2014, 10:29:34 PM »
Martin's dead-on, as usual!  The owner of the company, dealing with EVERY customer service issue personally, is more than just "one guy with a cell phone."  Most of us have never had to call for customer service, as the units perform great.  If a large customer service staff is your decision point, I hope you'll be happy with whatever you choose.  I wish you the best of luck, but you may be basing your decision on a factor that isn't really a factor at all.   But, I understand your concern.  As the company grows, Steve may delegate the important aspect of customer service to someone else, but I hope not.  That's what sets this company apart, at least in my mind!

Best of luck, and I hope we meet again!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

mnsmoker

« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2014, 08:39:51 AM »
I did countless hours of research over several months before I purchased my #2 even talked to steve a couple of times on the phone. I've been very happy with this unit, almost went with the Bradley, know several people who own them, the #2 blows it out away, have never looked back or desired something different. As far as performance  the mods i did are just my ocd like nature to mod everything I buy performed fine without them. The forum is a great addition to the product any questions are answered sometimes with in minutes, could'nt imagine going somewhere else. All things considered bang for the buck for surpasses any of the other products on the market!!!
Jim from Minnesota

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2014, 10:06:28 AM »
From what I can tell your "perceived" customer support issue is the only downside of getting a Smokin-It.

Everyone is different, but the overwhelming number of Pros significantly outweigh the one "perceived" Con in my eye.

If you want a smoker where Customer Support is important, get a MasterBuilt or a Bradley. Customer Support simply is rarely needed with the Smokin-It smokers and if it is you get the main guy instead of a customer support person from who knows where with little control to do anything about many of the problems that you report.

Then as mentioned before, replacement parts should you fall out of their 2 year (verses the 3 year on the SI) are significantly cheaper with a SI verses the other brands.

In the end, you have to do what is right for you. But if not having a dedicated Customer Support team is the only reason for not choosing the Smokin-It smoker, I would recommend that you look at the big picture and truly try to compare all of the pros and con/s before making your purchase.

Just my 2 cents (maybe worth 1 ;))
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2014, 10:55:04 AM »
Ernie,

The 'guy' answering the cell phone is the owner, Steve. I have talked to him many, many times over the past 3 years, oftentimes when he was on the road, once when he was on vacation. And when he did not answer, he called back in one day, or in a couple of hours. His business is more of a mom&pop business, with a small staff, and that helps hold down costs which is to the benefit of the customer. Customer service is generally for service after the sale for the customer, but can be accessed prior to a sale to answer any questions prior to a sale not covered on the web site. Between his site, and the forum, there isn't anything missing on the SI line of smokers, unless one is looking for flashy videos and eye candy.  And those can be found on youtube.

Good luck with which ever company you go with.

Dave

David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Big Fish

« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2014, 02:26:15 PM »
Youz guyz convinced me, I pulled the trigger on the SI #3   :P

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2014, 02:58:52 PM »
Ernie,

I think you will be pleased. And to bring it up to digital (if that is what you want to do) look for another PM.

Dave
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2014, 03:35:28 PM »
You won't be disappointed Ernie.

I have a stock #3 and may add an Auber PID with permanently installed Pit Probe someday. But that would only be for the added functionality of the programming and the ability to go higher than 250 degrees.

I have smoked some of the best Q with my stock #3 that I have ever smoked or for that matter tasted.

So, while the add-on stuff is cool, it is totally not necessary.

Luckily these units ship super quick. So your wait should not be that long.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2014, 03:42:04 PM »
Congratulations, Ernie...you made the right decision!  Cheers   ;D
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

Smokster

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2014, 06:10:11 PM »
Ernie, welcome back to the club. We can honestly say that you will not be disappointed. I too had my hesitations, but I kept coming back to the SI #3. Being from Toronto, the shipping costs were too high once it crosses the border, since I have family in Ohio, I decided to take a trip to visit family and pick up my #3.

After speaking to Steve numerous times before my purchase, Steve was honest and never tried to pressure me for the sale and was very accommodating when I picked up my smokers (I ordered and picked up 2 units). Steve did mention that he backs these up for 3 years and that he was confident in doing so because it is very rare for something to fail on these units.

Needless to say, I am extremely happy with my stock #3, never had any issues at all and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend these units to anyone. I get compliments all the time, not just for the appearance of the smoker, but also for the output these things produce. When I have my garage door open, some guys even slow down and even stop to ask me about it. I love this unit and have never looked back with absolutely no regrets.

You made the right decision, good luck, enjoy and we are all looking forward to having you on our forum.
Tony from Toronto
Smokin It and Lovin It