Author Topic: Wood placement in box  (Read 7143 times)

skioutwest

Wood placement in box
« on: January 03, 2014, 03:06:31 PM »
Hey everyone.

Been smoking in my #3 for about 6 mo and love it.  Been doing mostly ribs and small, whole chickens for the wife.  They both come out flawless every time.  It's funny, but my buddy purchased an offset smoker at the same time and he is completely jealous how easy my smoking ritual is versus his.....these smokers really are amazing!

The question I would like to throw out there is regarding the placement of the wood chunk in the wood box.  I have always placed it in the center lenthways and the wood seems to burn out after about 1-1.5 hours.

Recently, I started placing it at the front end of the box, thinking that maybe the end of the coil does not get as hot?  (totally just a hunch)  Ends up that the smoke lasts for 3-4 hours now.

Not that it really matters after the first hour, but has anyone else noticed this with their unit?

Happy smokin....

-Mark

Walt

Re: Wood placement in box
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2014, 03:36:59 PM »
Interesting.  Were you useing  the same wood with no other changes (i.e.  temp, foiling or wetting, etc)?  Did you notice any flavor differences (stronger smoke?)  The end product is what counts!
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

rickne

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2014, 05:15:18 PM »
I just toss it in.  I do make sure I spread the pieces out.  I'm not sure why I do that, but I do.
Rick  --  The Cornhusker State
Model #3 Jack Daniels Edition (W/ Cart)
Toggle Switch Bypass, Cold weather Cord, Auber PID

skioutwest

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2014, 05:28:44 PM »
The smoke last longer with any type of wood that I use.  I seem to get more smoke flavor as well.

I usually use 3-3.5 oz of wood.  How long does your smoke flow?  As I said before...I would get strong smoke for about 1-1.5 hrs, then it would burn out.  Now it is going for much longer....not sure why, but the difference is quite noticeable on my unit.

-Mark

cwshiles

• Get out there and Smoke it!
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2014, 06:07:01 PM »
I usually use about 3 oz of wood in a combination variety (hickory + apple, Pecan+ peach, etc..) which I thn split into 3 -4 big chunks.  I spread those chunks evenly across the whole box which has worked well for me.  I figure that way, I am covered I'd there are any hot spots in the element cover/ wood box.

I can't say I have really timed the smoke time, but I will Sunday when I do ribs.

Charlie from MD
Smokin it Model #3 with Cart
Auber 1503, Maverick ET-733, iGrill

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2014, 08:03:31 PM »
Hey Mark, I'm pretty much a "middle of the road" guy (at least when it comes to wood in the smoke box, that is).  ;)   If I use the hickory dowels from SI, I split them in half and lay them flat-side down (they use the whole chunk that way).  Other woods are placed flat down also, depending on the shape.  I try to put them over the holes in the middle of the box, then forward and backward from there, depending on the amount. 

You mentioned you usually use 3-3.5 oz; is that for every smoke?  I vary the wood, depending on the cook.  Chicken gets 2-2.5 oz, ribs get 2.5-3 oz, butts and briskets get 5-6.  I try to use enough wood to go the distance for the time the meat will absorb it, and no more.  Since the meat will absorb smoke well until around 140 internal temp, I try to adjust for the time it takes to get there.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Three Sons BBQ

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2014, 08:12:13 PM »
I am going to take a photo of my wood box (is that what it's called?).

Since I've used it to season it twice, auto tune twice, and three smokes, it has left a really nice blue tint or signature of where the intense heat is from the element.

I have noted on a few smokes the las two inches don't burn even for long smokes... So I guess my point would be to leave some chips or smaller chunks down in that area to keep a continuous burn going.

When i did this (by accident really) I noticed still after a whole night of smoking a pork butt that in the AM there was still a thin layer, very thin layer, coming out the stack.

Guess like Rick said... Spread it out and stand some of the dowels on end so they burn like a wick.

Brinkmann '07... Offset '11... Smokin-It '13!!!

DivotMaker

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2014, 08:18:21 PM »
Hmmm...thought about this some more.  I bet you could "calibrate" your smoke box by splitting enough hickory dowels to line both sides, from front to back (flat-side down, over all the holes).  Then, start the smoker (empty) at 250.  Let it heat up and start smoking, and maybe for another hour.  After that, shut it off and let it cool a bit.  When you remove the smoke box, it should be very clear where the hot & cool spots are in the element.  You wouldn't need to smoke very long, just enough to get the wood smouldering well, and then examine it.
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

Three Sons BBQ

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2014, 08:25:43 PM »
Divot:

Although simple, that is a novel test. I now of course will have to add that on my to-do list!!!  :)

Polish Q

DivotMaker

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2014, 08:28:51 PM »
Thanks, Steve!  Sometimes, I have my moments, and simple is always good! ;D   I've wondered about this for awhile, but never actually tested it, since I don't seem to have a problem with wood burn during cooks.  Gonna try it though!
Tony from NW Arkansas

skioutwest

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2014, 09:32:13 AM »
Divot:

That's a great idea!  Maybe I will try this if the weather warms up.

Polish Q:

Regarding that "thin layer"...I get that till the end of my smoke each time, but I believe that is the drippings burning from the top of the smoke box.  Sounds weird, but I wet my hand, then put if over the stack for about 5 seconds, then take a whiff....that thin layer of smoke always smells like burning fat, as opposed to smoke flavor.

Beware, this "wet hand test" will make you hand smell like smoke for a day or so if you do it at the beginning of the smoke.  I kinda like the smell though....  :-)

-Mark

rickne

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2014, 10:09:13 AM »

Regarding that "thin layer"...I get that till the end of my smoke each time, but I believe that is the drippings burning from the top of the smoke box.  Sounds weird, but I wet my hand, then put if over the stack for about 5 seconds, then take a whiff....that thin layer of smoke always smells like burning fat, as opposed to smoke flavor.

Yep.  Mine smokes all the way through the cook, especially with pork butts.  And you are correct, the majority of that smoke is moisture and burning fat from drippings.
Rick  --  The Cornhusker State
Model #3 Jack Daniels Edition (W/ Cart)
Toggle Switch Bypass, Cold weather Cord, Auber PID

Three Sons BBQ

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2014, 12:57:14 PM »
Good to know!

My unit is so new I don't think there is any residue; however it makes sense if it's the smoke from the fat and or meat.

I have also inadvertently conducted the hand test just to gauge outlet exhaust temperature.

Do you guys every add wood during a smoke?

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2014, 01:26:37 PM »
I did the "add wood" early on in my smoking ignorance.  I used a total of 12 to 14 ounces of wood, not knowing or caring what each piece weighed having assumed they were in the 1 to 2 ounce category.   Ruined a butt.  Even the dog would not eat any of it.  So, I weigh the wood, get the smoker going, and never add more. Ever! Meat is too expensive and after drooling all day anticipating good food, it is very disheartening to have to head out to the golden arches.

As for placement, I have tried different locations and yes, I have noticed some difference in length of smoke, but not so much as to be a plus in flavor.

As for drippings and such, I always start with a fresh lining of foil over the floor pan and the wood box. And use a plastic putty knife to get what ran under the floor foil. All in all, good food and minimal maintenance.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 01:30:59 PM by old sarge »
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

DivotMaker

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2014, 01:41:55 PM »
I'm with Sarge, Steve - load it and forget it.  Never open to add wood.  It's amazing how we have to change our thinking on amount of wood with these smokers, and finally come to peace with just how little it takes to get a good smoke flavor!  I remember not knowing how meat absorbs smoke, back in my Brinkman charcoal days, and adding WAY too much wood (out of pure ignorance)...ruined some good meat back then!
Tony from NW Arkansas