Author Topic: Anyone have experience with the cold smoke plate?  (Read 3585 times)

kbosch74

Anyone have experience with the cold smoke plate?
« on: December 26, 2013, 06:05:42 PM »
I am doing my first cold smoke of cheese on the #3.  I have followed the typical instructions...cold smoke plate is in, drip tray resting on top of plate filled with ice, turn smoker to around 170 for 20 minutes, then turn it off.  Outside temp is about 35 degrees. 

Problem...internal temp of box has reached 122 degrees 20 minutes after I turned the smoker off.  From everything I've read, 90 degrees is the max you want to cold smoke.  So I'm not seeing any advantage to this cold smoke plate. 

What has been your experience with it?
Thanks. 

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Anyone have experience with the cold smoke plate?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2013, 07:30:50 PM »
Hmmm...that's interesting!  I use mine often, and the box temp never gets above around 80!  Not trying to ask a stupid question, but are you sure you have the right plate for your model?  It should fill the slots, and the whole space from back to door.  When I cover mine with the pan of ice, it's cool above after I turn the element off.

By the way - no need to worry about any particular setting on the temp dial.  This is a simple "on and off" process, since the thermocouple is isolated from the heating area.  It doesn't know anything but the box temp; that's why you turn it on for 20 minutes, and then off.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

kbosch74

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2013, 09:41:55 PM »
The experience you described what exactly what I was expecting, but clearly I am not. 

Yes, it's the correct one/size. 

I'm not sure if it matters, but there is a flat side to this plate, and a side that isn't flat.  Which side do you face down?

DivotMaker

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2013, 10:00:25 PM »
I'm not sure if it matters (but maybe it does), but I place mine with the large side down (the part that sits in the rails).  Again, I wasn't trying to question your knowledge - it's just that sometimes the simple answers are the best! ;D

I learned how to do this from the "competitor's" YouTube video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tF3lCLE6I84

Pretty similar, and it works like a charm for me.

One other question:  chunks or chips?  How much wood, and how big?  One thing that might be happening is that your wood is combusting instead of slow-smouldering.  That would create additional heat in the box, which might raise your box temp.  Just a thought for troubleshooting!
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

kbosch74

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2013, 10:49:29 PM »
DM,

Yes, I watched that same video several times.  Seems very straightforward, which makes it even more frustrating.  I am using about 2 oz chunks (although I did cut them up so that they were about 2, 1 oz chucks).  I was thinking I would switch over to chips, with the thought that chips would begin smoking sooner, thus allowing me to shut off the heat element sooner...lower temp. 

benjammn

• Just smoke it!
    • Kale's Collision
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2013, 10:52:36 PM »
My 2 cents.
When I smoke Salmon I don't use a plate but I only turn it up to 140-160F. It really doesn't take long for the smoke to start. So maybe you should start with a lower temp and shut off as soon as smoke is seen. Then kick it on if it dies down. Remember to try to use the cup over the "hole" method to keep the smoke in there for a bit longer.
Ben in Chandler, AZ
Proud owner of #2

DivotMaker

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2013, 10:55:47 PM »
I've not tried chips with cold smoking, but have thought the same thing.  Sounds like you're using the right wood mix.  Gonna have to think on this one!  Maybe some other cold smoke plate guys will chime in!
Tony from NW Arkansas

kbosch74

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2013, 09:20:32 AM »
Just as an update, I smoked cheddar, gouda and Havarti.  The cheddar and gouda, being harder cheeses, held up pretty good to the higher temp.  The Havarti, however, lost about half of it's shape.