Author Topic: Questioning Temp Probe  (Read 9258 times)

S and M

Questioning Temp Probe
« on: January 09, 2015, 07:11:21 PM »
This is my first smoke and I have two 3.5 lb pork butts in at 225.  It has been about 6.5 hours and the IT is reading 154.  Its a brand new sensor (it appears to correlate with outside temperature this a.m.)   I have no other thermometer at this time.  Do I trust it or run to the store and grab a manual one and stick it in?    Just  a little concerned here.      LOL    Thanks
Steve
Arizona
Smokin-It #2

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
Re: Questioning Temp Probe
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2015, 07:16:25 PM »
One of the 2 temps are not correct so I'd spend the $8 on a manual probe.  Either that or pull one out for physical testing.

p.s. you are at a point where it would'nt hurt to turn up the heat either.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 08:24:12 PM by SuperDave »
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

S and M

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2015, 07:21:03 PM »
Just for Clarification:  Its a single probe.
When I was setting up this morning the single temp probe measured outside air temperature correctly.  Anyhow, I'm off to the store to get a manual one.  Thanks for your response!
Steve
Arizona
Smokin-It #2

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2015, 08:00:41 PM »
And for further clarification, I'm not saying the 154 is off, it might be the 225 but unless the meat was still partially frozen, I can't visualize a 3.5 lbs piece of meat sitting at that temp 6 hours into a smoke.  I cook 8 lbs pieces of meat in that time with a crutch. 

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2015, 08:12:38 PM »
I don't know. It doesn't really sound off to me. I have heard of people here smoking small butts and it taking just as long as the larger ones.

I have a feeling that purchasing the manual probe is going to be a waste of money except for providing some piece of mind.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2015, 08:26:07 PM »
I don't know. It doesn't really sound off to me. I have heard of people here smoking small butts and it taking just as long as the larger ones.

I have a feeling that purchasing the manual probe is going to be a waste of money except for providing some piece of mind.
Which is why I think he posted.  :-\
IMO, waiting 8 hours for a 3.5 lbs pork butt is ludicrous. 

DiggingDogFarm

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2015, 08:46:24 PM »
Seems like a long time, but in certain circumstances it can take longer than expected.....a lean high-moisture piece of butt in a relatively low moisture smoker can take a long time to finish.
What most folks don't understand is that the 225 degree set temperature isn't the actual smoking/cooking temperature if evaporative cooling is in play.
~Martin

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2015, 08:50:20 PM »
There is a point at which being lazy is trumped by being hungry.  Foil the darn thing and turn the heat up. 

DiggingDogFarm

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2015, 08:54:09 PM »
There is a point at which being lazy is trumped by being hungry.  Foil the darn thing and turn the heat up.

Lazy?
C'mon!!!
Be nice!
I see this as someone learning his smoker and thermometers.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 08:55:47 PM by DiggingDogFarm »
~Martin

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2015, 09:38:52 PM »

Lazy?
C'mon!!!
Be nice!
I see this as someone learning his smoker and thermometers.

+1!  Everyone has to feel their way through the first smoke or two! 
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2015, 09:51:31 PM »
I typically strongly avoid the urge to turn the heat up to try to push it along, especially with Boston Butts. If its not going to be ready for my meal, I'll order a pizza and stay the course. Then vacuum seal when it is done and enjoy another day.

I think your results will suffer by pushing it, and I would rather have great results tomorrow than less than stellar results on time for my meal today.

Just my opinion.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2015, 09:58:24 PM »
You guys seem awful set in your ways.  Watch some bbq professionals in competition.  It is a lot less complicated than you guys make out.  And "Lazy" was Tony's terms, I used them because not tending the smoker is only good to a point but useless if one doesn't get to eat dinner.

DiggingDogFarm

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2015, 11:01:48 PM »
I'm not set in my ways so much as trying to answer the actual question.  8)
" I have no other thermometer at this time.  Do I trust it or run to the store and grab a manual one and stick it in?"
Well of course you can crank the damn temperature up!!!!!!!!  ::)
~Martin

S and M

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2015, 09:14:40 AM »
Thanks everybody for your support.  It is very appreciated as I'm just barely getting started.  I went out and got a $6.00 thermometer from the store and it basically matched the digital probe.   The SI #2 continued to cycle  as I assume it does.   After 11 hours the pork butts reached an IT of 195.  It was way later than planned, and the family was ready to settle for any food of any kind, but they agreed it was really good.   Looking forward to reading more from this forum and getting ready for my next smoke.   Biggest take aways were:   Start early, relax and let it run its course and know there are folks out there who will help answer questions/concerns if you get stuck.

Thanks again
Steve
Arizona
Smokin-It #2

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2015, 11:16:52 AM »
Wow DAMN and FOIL in the same thread, all this swearing.....
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud