Author Topic: 1 rack of St. Louis pork ribs and 2 racks of baby backs  (Read 8280 times)

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: 1 rack of St. Louis pork ribs and 2 racks of baby backs
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2014, 05:35:12 PM »
Tony is right on.  Only critique is I never miss an opportunity to allow rendered pork fat to drip on anything.  Potatoes definately belong under the ribs.

I agree with the pork fat comment...mmm, mmm, good! :D   But, I still contend that you don't want to load that shelf below the meat too heavy.  In a #3, this shouldn't be a problem at all.  #2, can be questionable, and definitely a no-no in the #1 (learned this from experience).  Lots of room for heat to flow past stuff in the #3 though!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Walt

« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2014, 08:52:12 PM »
Possibly, however it has never caused an issue in my#2.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

DivotMaker

« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2014, 10:14:39 PM »
Good to know, Walt.  I've been hesitant in the #2 since having a problem with it in the #1.  That #3, though, is big enough to play basketball in!  I don't think you could do much to block heat in that monster! ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2014, 11:36:45 PM »
Well guys, thank you all!  They turned out great. Not the best I've ever had but the best I've ever made!  I did have to cook them an extra hour and could have cooked them an extra 30 or 40 min but had people waiting on them.  Still pretty tasty.

As I've mentioned, ribs have always been difficult for me.  I've tried all different kinds of methods.  Although, I have a ways to go with perfecting my ribs, these were my personal best.  Thank you guys again!

As far as the Auber goes, do they make a wireless remote for it like the Maverick thermometer?  I loves me some lazy Q!  LOL
Smokin-it #3, Napolean Prestige Pro 500 Grill, Anova WiFi Precision Cooker (Sous Vide)
The Woodlands, Texas

DivotMaker

« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2014, 07:33:42 PM »
No remote monitoring of the Auber, that I've seen.  Would be cool, though!
Tony from NW Arkansas

DiggingDogFarm

« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2014, 12:37:12 PM »
As far as the Auber goes, do they make a wireless remote for it like the Maverick thermometer?  I loves me some lazy Q!  LOL

No, but I bought an IP video camera so I can easily watch the Auber and the smoker from inside.
It works great.
~Martin

DivotMaker

« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2014, 07:48:41 PM »
Oh yeah, Martin!  I forgot about your remote camera setup!  Very cool, indeed.  It's like a BBQ spy cam! ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas

prudentsmoker

« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2014, 09:01:09 PM »
Two comments if I may- the pork fat dripping on the potatoes is indeed probably a good thing. The folks at Texas Roadhouse told me that they coat their baked potatoes in bacon fat. Also, Tony's comments about using a butter knife are spot on. I might also suggest using paper towels to pull it off makes it easier too.
Brian from Wichita