Author Topic: Drip pan / no drip pan. That is the question  (Read 1968 times)

polarlys

Drip pan / no drip pan. That is the question
« on: September 14, 2018, 05:16:04 PM »
It seems from what I've read here on the forum most users seem to recommend NOT using a drip pan.   The reason I think is heat convection and smoke interference.   I get it and for the most part agree.   However, today I felt like being contrary and did my first whole chicken and used a drip pan.   It was a pretty large chicken so I brined it for about 24 hrs.  and then rubbed with some seasoning I had in my cabinet and set my smoker to 165* internal temp. and let 'er rip at 275*.   I used 5oz of oak for smoke.   Well,  came out great and the best part is all the drippings in the pan and none splattered around the bottom of my smoker.   So, an easy cleaning job.  So far as I can tell the drip pan did not make a difference other than catching all the drippings and making my life easier.   
Roger from NJ
Somerset, NJ
retired Police Officer
retired Air Nat'l. Guard
US Army '69-'72 (20th Engineers Vietnam)
SI-3d

Limey

Re: Drip pan / no drip pan. That is the question
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2018, 09:11:11 PM »
I always use a drip pan when cooking chicken. Specifically I use an old skillet from which I have removed the handle. It does not seem to impact the cooking/smoking and certainly makes for a much easier cleanup.
Roger from the Florida Keys.
Two SI#3s, both with switched bypass and Aubers(different locations), Viking, Jenn Aire & five TEC infra red grills. Recently acquired UDS.

Walt

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2018, 10:08:21 PM »
My two favorite Rodgers! I'm not a big worrier about airflow issues either, you see the way I cram briskets in there. The rule of thumb for me on pans is to not let it take up more than 2/3 of the smoker. Haven't had a problem yet....
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

polarlys

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2018, 08:56:57 AM »
Glad to hear I'm not way off here.   My drip pan was almost taking up the whole space.   It was a stainless steam table tray and just short of fully covering the shelf below.   I put a quart of water into the pan to prevent any burning and provide some moisture.   I didn't have any time issues so I was not worried about time it would take to heat up but all worked out well.   I've tried some smaller drip containers when doing pork buts or a ham.

Anyhow.   Worked well for me.   So I guess the bottom line is,  don't be afraid to use a pan to contain your drippings whether you plan to use them or not.   I chose to "NOT" in this case.   I just felt that the smokey drippings wouldn't make chicken gravy for me.   Pork or Beef I think I'd be inclined to use. 
Roger from NJ
Somerset, NJ
retired Police Officer
retired Air Nat'l. Guard
US Army '69-'72 (20th Engineers Vietnam)
SI-3d

TX Gent

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2018, 12:01:26 PM »
I've done it with many different combinations of smokes both with and without drip pans, cookie sheets and even just a piece of foil on a lower rack. Smoke is smoke and heat is heat in a small single exit smoke box. They all work to varying degrees to the good side. It's still all about time, temp and the quality of the smoke in the ... end

Experience gained experimenting over time equals knowledge without ... end

keep smoking!!!
John ... Smokin #2  South of "Hells' Half Acre" and along ol' Deer Creek