Author Topic: AMNPS in a #2?  (Read 13319 times)

Muttley

AMNPS in a #2?
« on: August 10, 2013, 04:56:14 PM »
I got an AMPS for Father's Day so I could smoke cheeses, but it's been too hot to even bring the cheese outside so I haven't fired it up yet.  Tomorrow is the day.   

Anyone using an AMNPS in their smokers?  I thought I read at another location some users had issues with air drawing in and drilled an additional hole in the bottom.  I am going to run a load in the AMNPS tomorrow and see what happens. 

smokeasaurus

Re: AMNPS in a #2?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2013, 05:45:57 PM »
I don't think there will be enough air in the smoker to keep the tube burning, but there is only one way to find out.....

puddle jumper

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2013, 07:10:34 PM »
I have been reading some of the info you are talking about,, so I would love to know how it works out for you when you try it,,,I was thinking about getting one of the tube versions for mine..
 8)
PJ
John from North Georgia
Smokin It #2 owner

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2013, 09:55:48 PM »
In keeping with my "over on another site" theme, there have been some folks who modified their smoker (very similar look, different make) by enlarging the existing hole, or drilling additional holes in the bottom to increase air flow. Of course, it was acknowledged that the warranty was voided, and I would guess that would include the heating element, probe, controller, all of it. Then came the predicament of where specifically to place the AMNPS, left, right, where.

Judging from comments, I suppose it worked. The reason for the mod? They were after the "thin blue smoke", and smoke that would last for the entire smoking process be it 4 hours or 16. Some sort of plug was fashioned to plug the holes when not needed.

David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Muttley

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2013, 09:50:12 AM »
In keeping with my "over on another site" theme, there have been some folks who modified their smoker (very similar look, different make) by enlarging the existing hole, or drilling additional holes in the bottom to increase air flow. Of course, it was acknowledged that the warranty was voided, and I would guess that would include the heating element, probe, controller, all of it. Then came the predicament of where specifically to place the AMNPS, left, right, where.

Judging from comments, I suppose it worked. The reason for the mod? They were after the "thin blue smoke", and smoke that would last for the entire smoking process be it 4 hours or 16. Some sort of plug was fashioned to plug the holes when not needed.

I think i found some similar comments yesterday. Goofing with an already good thing might not be the answer.  Since I have this for cold smoking, I just might use it in my weber, or maybe do a cardboard box cold smoker. 

I thought I was gonna do a test run Sunday, but it didn't work out. 

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2013, 09:03:50 PM »
Don't modify your smoker!  Just get a cold smoke plate from Smokin-It - they work great! No mods, just good cold smoking.  Don't try to reinvent the wheel...use the AMPS in another vessel.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Muttley

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2013, 08:54:59 PM »
So, I realized the weather was cooling off, so cheese time would soon be here and I needed to figure out the AMNPS dilemma.  I fired up one row to see what would happen in the #2.  It fired up OK, smoked good GREAT for the first hour, temp hovered in low 70s.  At this point I watched the temp rising a bit, so I filled a pan with ice to see if that would bring down the ambient temp in the smoker.  After I closed the door, I watched the temp get into the high 80s.  No good for cheese.  HMM.  The AMNPS still smoked like there was no tomorrow for the first two hours.  I was impressed, then for reasons I am not sure it went out during the third hour.

I think I had plenty of air flow, so I am left wondering if the ice had anything to do with it.  I'll try tomorrow and see what happens when I leave it untouched for the entire burn. 

The flash washed out the picture...it was done smoking at this point. 

Muttley

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2013, 08:57:19 PM »
Don't modify your smoker!  Just get a cold smoke plate from Smokin-It - they work great! No mods, just good cold smoking.  Don't try to reinvent the wheel...use the AMPS in another vessel.

Will the plate keep the temps under 80F?

DivotMaker

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2013, 09:58:52 PM »
The cold smoke plate totally insulates the smoke chamber from the cooking chamber, so cold products (like cheese) don't overheat in the process.  When you fill the drip pan with ice, and place it on top of the cold smoke plate, the items above stay cool.  There are some good youtube videos on cold smoking in an electric smoker, and I know it works well.  The money spent on the cold smoke plate is well-worth it, if you plan to cold smoke.
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

KDub

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2013, 11:40:31 PM »
I use the cold smoker plate a lot and it does work great. Just did 20 lbs of cheese last weekend.

Muttley

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2013, 11:46:36 AM »
Not that I haven't written off the cold plate, but I am having good results today with the AMNPS.  I filled the drip pan with ice today which is about twice as large as the pan I used previously.  @ 2 hours, internal temp with ice was 56F.  I did some cheese this morning, I have some spices in now.  Using Hickory and since I've opened it a few times, the temp has risen into the low 70s.  I am watching it out the window and it is really, really generating some smoke. 

Muttley

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2013, 12:42:31 PM »
I repositioned the thermometer, back into the mid 50s. 

puddle jumper

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2013, 07:27:42 PM »
Good info ,, but one question, How long are you smoking the cheese for?? I thought 1 hr would be good for most cheeses then let it rest for 24 hrs,, Understand I have not tried smoking yest just wheat ive read,, and you know how much bad info is out there..
Thanks..
PJ
John from North Georgia
Smokin It #2 owner

DivotMaker

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2013, 08:07:13 PM »
Good info ,, but one question, How long are you smoking the cheese for?? I thought 1 hr would be good for most cheeses then let it rest for 24 hrs,, Understand I have not tried smoking yest just wheat ive read,, and you know how much bad info is out there..
Thanks..
PJ

PJ, there are some good threads on here about smoking cheese, and some pretty good YouTube videos (by one of our competitors) about smoking cheese with the cold smoke plate.  I think one risk of using the AMNPS is over-smoking the cheese.  Muttley will have to update us on this after the cheese rests (especially on how long he kept it in that intense smoke).

What you will find, when you smoke cheese, is that the smoke taste definitely intensifies after the cheese "rests" in the fridge for several days (or longer).  When I smoke cheese, I immediately vacuum seal it and put it in the fridge for, at least, 2-3 days before touching it.  After it's in for a week, the smoke has penetrated about as deep as it's going to in the cheese - so it's reached its "final" smokiness.

It's all a matter of taste.  I've used apple and hickory on cheese, both with very unique tastes.  I also find that a couple of small "doses" of smoke (40 minutes) is plenty.  Any more is over-smoked.
Tony from NW Arkansas

Muttley

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2013, 10:01:29 PM »
Thanks..
PJ

I left this in for 2 hours with hickory.  From what I read, that didn't seem unreasonable.  I am letting this sit vac-sealed for three weeks before I crack it open.

One thing I read going into this was keep good notes.  Regarding that, I'll be doing a smoke later this week for less time so I can compare the two.  I am also going to let the next batch rest 3 days before I seal it up.  My wife was fed up with smoke today, so there wasn't any way I was not going to seal it up after drying out a little.