Author Topic: Fruitawood  (Read 14657 times)

smokeasaurus

Re: Fruitawood
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2013, 04:41:49 PM »
That is some great looking yardbird right there. I have left over mini-splits from Fruitawood, apple, apricot and peach. Peach wood is great with all types of meat. You haven't lived until you smoke a pork butt or brisket with peach wood. You can also add a hunk of hickory or a hunk of oak along with a hunk of peach ( or other fruitwood) for a very nice flavor profile.

Hey, I don't call myself Smokeasaurus for nothing  ;D 8)

Muttley

« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2013, 04:48:13 PM »
That is some great looking yardbird right there. I have left over mini-splits from Fruitawood, apple, apricot and peach. Peach wood is great with all types of meat. You haven't lived until you smoke a pork butt or brisket with peach wood. You can also add a hunk of hickory or a hunk of oak along with a hunk of peach ( or other fruitwood) for a very nice flavor profile.

Hey, I don't call myself Smokeasaurus for nothing  ;D 8)

I am beginning to think peach is vastly underrated.  What's difficult is that my wife is not happy with rich wood flavors, so hickory and mesquite have to be used carefully or I will get an ear full.  The peach is so smooth, and I just pulled my wings out where I used half peach/half oak, and for the wings, they are keepers. 

UWFSAE

• Smoker, Griller, & International Man of Mystery
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2013, 04:58:05 PM »
Blending woods definitely will pay some dividends, Muttley.  First, woods do burn at different rates so you can really dial in your flavors if you play your cards right with long smokes like brisket (cherry + oak) or pork butt (apple + pecan).

I'd definitely add cherry to your repertoire if you're a beef man ... it also goes great with duck and turkey.
Joe from Houston, TX
Proud owner of a Smokin-It #3!

Muttley

« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2013, 05:18:27 PM »
Blending woods definitely will pay some dividends, Muttley.  First, woods do burn at different rates so you can really dial in your flavors if you play your cards right with long smokes like brisket (cherry + oak) or pork butt (apple + pecan).

I'd definitely add cherry to your repertoire if you're a beef man ... it also goes great with duck and turkey.

I happen to have a nearly unlimited supply of cherry...hmm.  I like your idea of apple and pecan.  Would pecan be too much for fish, like trout or salmon?  Never used it before. 

Somewhere I've seen a post or a link to an entire guide to wood species for smoking. 

UWFSAE

« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2013, 05:32:17 PM »
I'm not a fish guy but I know my butcher uses alder for fish and often mixes it with cherry.  Pecan is probably best described as a less intense flavor of hickory smoke; if you don't mind that slight bite in the background it probably would work.  I've also read that maple is great for fish ...
Joe from Houston, TX

smokeasaurus

« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2013, 05:48:27 PM »
Maple is even good for beef. I made a mistake onetime and chopped up some sugar maple instead of the wood I had planned to use......this was during my stick burning days and it was 1 in the morning and I was still half asleep and my brisket came out real good.......go figure.....

I think it is good to have some guidelines as to what wood is good for certain types of meat, but they are only guidelines...lets mix it up a bit....... 8)

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2013, 10:28:31 PM »
Good looking yard birds, Muttley!  I used Fruitawood peach on a rack of spares today (rub, 225 for 5 1/2 hours, no foil).  They were fantastic!  I usually combine a little hickory with the fruit woods, but went straight peach today.  Do anything special to the birds (inject, brine, etc)?
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Muttley

« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2013, 08:11:31 AM »
Good looking yard birds, Muttley!  I used Fruitawood peach on a rack of spares today (rub, 225 for 5 1/2 hours, no foil).  They were fantastic!  I usually combine a little hickory with the fruit woods, but went straight peach today.  Do anything special to the birds (inject, brine, etc)?

For the bids, I will cut a lime in half, throw both halves in the cavity, seems to help with the breasts drying out.  Other than that, a dusting of whatever I have laying around at the time right before they go in, that is about it.   

UWFSAE

« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2013, 10:23:18 AM »
Mutt, give brining a shot next time you do some poultry.  I started doing it for deep fried turkey years ago and it not only makes a huge difference in moistness but in flavor as well.  For example, I've been saving up pickle juice to brine a couple of Cornish game hens; Chik-Fil-A uses that to give their chicken a unique flavor and tenderness so I figure that it should work nicely for the hens.

That being said, citrus in the cavity is a good trick and does also help impart a little flavor; Meyer lemons are my favorite for this ... a little sour, a little sweet.
Joe from Houston, TX

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2013, 09:44:06 PM »
I know a fellow over on another site who helps out his neighbors in the fall by pruning their trees.  Free fruit and nut wood as well as hickory and oak. The branches are small, no need to chunk. 
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus