Author Topic: Aging Wood  (Read 3234 times)

BonaireBBQ

Aging Wood
« on: May 10, 2017, 07:16:13 PM »
So for those that cut their own wood how long do you "age it - let it dry" before using it I have a lot of Mesquite and Acacia in my south forty that needs to be trimmed. Our average humidity is 78% year round.
Walt in Bonaire

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
Re: Aging Wood
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2017, 08:01:43 PM »
Walt, a little depends on how you store it.  I cut a large Rubbermaid storage container worth of chunks and can start using it within a month or 2.  Left in large limbs and logs and you can let them season out. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

Meatball

• Smoke it if you got it ....
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2017, 09:01:35 PM »
BonaireBBQ... you may want to invest in a moisture meter ...well worth it. Takes the guess work out of moisture readings for wood. 
Bobby
Tennessee resident
Welder / Inspector

JustChillin

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2017, 07:24:41 AM »
I cut a couple of limbs from a maple tree yesterday. Can you store small chunks in zip lock bags? Thinking of letting the larger sections cure on their own.
David from Roswell,GA. My tools currently include the SI #2 with an Auber, Grill Dome, Solaire 27", Holland Grill (Companion) & Weber (Smokey Joe). The Companion & SJ are primarily used for tailgating.

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2017, 05:36:52 PM »
I cut a couple of limbs from a maple tree yesterday. Can you store small chunks in zip lock bags? Thinking of letting the larger sections cure on their own.
If it doesn't breathe initially it may get some mold depending on how wet it was.
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

JustChillin

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2017, 07:26:10 AM »
Thanks for the confirmation. That was my concern. I have it sitting in a bucket curing for a while.
David from Roswell,GA. My tools currently include the SI #2 with an Auber, Grill Dome, Solaire 27", Holland Grill (Companion) & Weber (Smokey Joe). The Companion & SJ are primarily used for tailgating.

curegeorg

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2018, 11:16:57 PM »
2nd the moisture meter.  I got one for "work" that sits with my wood selection.  Mine is the type used for checking construction materials, but it digs into my hobby also!  I'd split it, leave it in a cool dry place and check it periodically.  When you think it's close, I'd split it more and check some other spots.
Coolio from Central NC

#3 with auber