Author Topic: Has anyone used pellets?  (Read 7875 times)

schway

Has anyone used pellets?
« on: February 27, 2013, 05:16:17 PM »
Just ordered my #2 on Sunday, sounds like it should arrive by Friday. My brother-in-laws have been smoking for awhile so its now my turn to jump in and have fun. My question is has anyone used pellets like Treager or BBQrs Delight pellets? My one brother-in-law swears by the BBQrs but he has a Brinkman gas smoker. Been reading and watching videos and it seems like chunk wood seems to be around 3 oz. more or less is good but didn't know with pellets if you should use less or more for this type of smokers? Also the first seasoning smoke how much and type of wood should I use and how long to leave it on? Any suggestions Thanks

BHamel

• Administrator
Re: Has anyone used pellets?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2013, 06:39:49 PM »
Welcome schway!!  I haven't used pellets before, but can help with the seasoning.  The smoker comes with a bag of hickory for plug and go use.  Steve supplies a welcome letter and instructions for seasoning your new best friend.  Thanks for choosing Smokin-It, and remember "If it can't be smoked, you shouldn't be eating it!"

Ben
Smokin-It IT guy
Ben from Ohio
Smokin-it IT guy!
Owner of a Model #3
If you can't smoke it!  You shouldn't be eating it!!

Gary

• Newbie in terms of actual smoking experience/
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2013, 06:19:57 PM »
I have had great luck with Peterson Pucks. They have a variety of wood, use no preservative and store easy. I have used Cherry, Mesquite and Alder. Here is a link to their site: http://www.petersonpucks.com/
I can fit two or more in the smoke box on the Model !. I typically just use one for ribs, smoked trout, chicken thighs etc.
Gary J. Groman
a.k.a. The Ole Seagull

"Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise,
let your mind dwell on these things." (Philippians 4:8)

Desjeany

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2013, 05:57:44 PM »
Those pucks look pretty good, and reasonably priced.  I'm think I'm gonna grab a few bags and give em a try.  Thanks for the link.

Rob Babcock

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2013, 03:21:45 AM »
Thanks for the heads-up on the pucks!  I will give them a try.  I've been using BBQ Delight pellets to augment my chunks of hardwood.  Generally I'll wrap an ounce or so in a bit of tin foil and place it in the box with the wood.  Seems to impart a bit of subtle seasoning.

Squirrel

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2013, 01:15:44 PM »
I'm interested in knowing this as well. I haven't purchased a Smokin-It yet, but have a ton of pellets left over from my Traeger that I refuse to send to the shop again.

Alphax

• "Brakes just slow you down..."
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2013, 07:27:37 PM »
I already had 40lbs of Traeger pecan pellets so they're getting put to use tonight on this shiny new box of deliciousness.

I'll keep you guys posted  8)
-Brian
Model #2