Author Topic: Review for Western Premium Wood Chunks  (Read 2951 times)

erictepe

Review for Western Premium Wood Chunks
« on: November 17, 2013, 06:43:21 PM »
Hey Everyone, I wanted to write a quick review for Western Premium Wood Chunks. I recently purchased a bag of bag of Cherry as it was only $8 for an 8lb bag. I figured this was a cheap experiment. If these things flamed up and increased the heat in my #1 then I could use them for something else. Anyway, I was smoking 6lbs of pork shoulder at 215ish and added 5.9oz to the smoking chamber. I got a good 7hr of smoke and the temp of the meat was about 140 or so when I noticed no more smoke. I then wrapped the shoulder in foil and cooked until I hit 200 (about 12 hours or so). The cherry gave it a sweet smokey flavor which was good but I think I will mix with hickory next.
Overall I was pretty impressed. I guess it would be easy to impress me as this is only my 2nd smoke.  Anyway, I purchased them at Meijer which also carried Hickory, Mesquite, Apple, Oak, Peach (these may have been chips) and Jack Daniels oak whiskey barrel chunks. Disclaimer-you may have a different experience but mine was pretty positive.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Review for Western Premium Wood Chunks
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2013, 07:17:40 PM »
Good to hear, Eric!  They sell this brand at my local Academy, so I may try a bag.  BTW, I always find mixing fruit woods with hickory is a good thing.  We all grew up smelling hickory BBQ, so that probably explains why we crave that hickory smell & taste!  The fruit woods definitely add flavor, but hickory is the anchor.  I just love the smell of hickory burning!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!