Author Topic: chicken breast  (Read 3467 times)

dannyboy

chicken breast
« on: July 26, 2019, 06:41:54 PM »
I have been smokin c/breast here lately for the wife to slice and use on top of a salad. I have been cooking it to 175. They are too dry inside. What temp are you folks cooking chicken too? I want to be safe with that stuff.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2019, 02:56:05 PM by dannyboy »
#2, Large Big Green Egg, married for 43  yrs to same wonderful woman. Retired from UPS after 30 yrs. Bass fishing, wood working, are my current hobbies.

barelfly

Re: chicken breast
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2019, 06:57:54 PM »
I do not smoke boneless chicken breast but have only done a few bone in turkey breasts and usually go to 165*. When I grill chicken breast I always aim for 165* as well, and cook it slowly.

Sous  Vide is a great way to get juicy boneless chicken breast to use for salads or other dishes if 165 doesn’t work out.
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear

Smokin Q

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2019, 02:30:25 PM »
Been gone a while but cooking a lot. I like to smoke chicken to 165 and cook in large batches. I then pressure seal leftovers in a range of portion sizes. When I decide I want chicken salad(breast) or chicken tacos (shredded thighs) and don't have time to cook I just pull them out of the freezer and drop them in my sous vide for an hour or so at 135-145. It comes out juicy with the smoked flavor and better than throwing on the grill for a fast cook.

You can also throw some vegetables in sous vide while you heat the chicken or whatever meat, and have an easy no hassle meal when short on time.

Sous Vide is also the best way to reheat frozen pulled pork without drying it out. Add an apple juice ice cube in the bag when you pressure seal the pulled pork. When you reheat it is almost as good as the first time.
Miller from Alabama
SI #3
Weber Genesis

prudentsmoker

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2019, 02:51:06 PM »
I agree with the 165 temp and I like to use cherry. Also, I personally like it with White BBQ sauce.

Big Bob Gibson’s original Bar-B-Que white sauce
Makes 4 cups
2 cups mayonnaise
1 cup distilled white vinegar
1/2 cup apple juice
2 tsp. prepared horseradish
2 tsp. ground black pepper
2 tsp. fresh lemon juice
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper

In a large mixing bowl, combine all the ingredients and blend well. Use as a marinade, baste, or dipping sauce. Store refrigerated in an airtight container for up to two weeks.
And as I have written here before, I make the sauce without the mayo and add it just before eating. That allows me to keep it in the fridge much longer.
Brian from Wichita

lgboro

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2020, 06:10:45 AM »
I smoke a lot of chicken and I think 165 degrees will make a big difference with skinless chicken.  I even smoke chicken tenderloins but I wrap them in bacon.
Larry from Eastern NC
Retired 1/2 time camper
SmokinIt #1 Smoker
Numerous grills
Outside Kitchen

Meatball

• Smoke it if you got it ....
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2020, 03:18:11 PM »
I have had very good luck smoking the chicken and then finishing it up on the grill for a few minutes.
Bobby
Tennessee resident
Welder / Inspector

Meatball

• Smoke it if you got it ....
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2020, 03:21:12 PM »
I have had very good luck smoking the chicken and then finishing it up on the grill for a few minutes.
Brining the chicken makes a world of difference in my opinion.
Bobby
Tennessee resident
Welder / Inspector

curegeorg

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2020, 01:20:39 AM »
Smoke it but don't cook it done in the smoker if it's skinless, finish on grill, etc
Coolio from Central NC

#3 with auber