Author Topic: Cabinet Maker for Wood Scraps?  (Read 7874 times)

damnfingers

• USN Retired/Gov't Contractor Retired/Life is good!
Cabinet Maker for Wood Scraps?
« on: December 31, 2014, 10:56:46 AM »
There's a custom cabinet maker right down the street from me - I ran down this morning and picked up some scrap cherry from him.  Obviously I know nothing about the "wood" but assume that other than being free it's no different than the cherry I'd buy from a wood smoke dealer.  Any thoughts?
Gene - Smoke lover from Saucier, Mississippi
Happy owner of SI#2 since Christmas 2014

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
Re: Cabinet Maker for Wood Scraps?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2014, 11:07:29 AM »
The only problem that I would see is that it is probably kiln dried and could be pretty dry, which could lead to premature combustion.

I would definitely try it. If it combusts, you could try storing it in a airtight container with a wet towel and see if that adds some moisture back to the wood.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2014, 11:08:04 AM »
If it works, it could be a nice awesome endless supply of Cherry. That would be awesome!
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2014, 11:18:40 AM »
I use a Tupperware container to store my wood, and I put a wet rag in a baggie to provide some moisture.  If you try this method, I suggest using the baggie (opened) to hold the wet towel/rag.   Before I used the baggie, I just laid the towel on top of the wood, which resulted in some mold on the wood.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2014, 11:42:47 AM »
I use a Tupperware container to store my wood, and I put a wet rag in a baggie to provide some moisture.  If you try this method, I suggest using the baggie (opened) to hold the wet towel/rag.   Before I used the baggie, I just laid the towel on top of the wood, which resulted in some mold on the wood.

Good idea on the baggie.
Gregg - Fargo, ND

damnfingers

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2014, 01:18:48 PM »
Not knowing whether or not it's kiln dried or not (and it probably is), should I soak the wood before I use it then?

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2014, 01:22:09 PM »
You can certainly try soaking, but because cherry is a hard wood, I doubt it will absorb much water.   I would try a piece first and see if you get combustion.  If so, then you could try the foil method to see if that works.   Soaking, though, will probably not make a big difference.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

damnfingers

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2014, 03:30:49 PM »
Combustion meaning it bursts into flame in the wood box? 

Since I'm planning on using it today I think I'll just wrap it in foil with some holes poked in it - I think it's going to be a LONG cook (20+ hours) so there will be plenty of time for the wood to smoke if it's going to. 

Or is my thinking wrong?  This is my first attempt and first use of my SI #2 except for seasoning it.

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2014, 03:49:03 PM »
I think that sounds like a good plan.

I'm not sure you need to wrap the whole thing though. If you just use the foil boat method that others are using it should be good. Just tightly wrap the lower half of the chunk with foil and leave the upper half exposed.
Gregg - Fargo, ND

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2014, 03:59:31 PM »
As Gregg said, just foil on the bottom and sides, leave the top open.   Watch the smoker for the first 45 minutes or so and you will know if the wood catches fire.  If it does, it goes out quickly (after the belch!) and then you will get just smoke.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

damnfingers

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2014, 04:06:20 PM »
Great information (and fast response!) - thanks very much.  Getting on pins and needles here - can hardly wait the next 4 hours or so before I start everything going!

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2014, 04:19:06 PM »
Also, if for some reason you do get a belch. Do NOT open the door. Just let it go and you will be OK. Opening the door would make things even worse by flooding the smoker with Oxygen.

Good luck on your smoke!
Gregg - Fargo, ND

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2014, 05:58:04 PM »
+1...do not open the door!  I have only seen one belch per smoke and then all is well.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2014, 08:40:45 PM »
Fingers, your supply of cherry will be kiln dried, which is very low moisture for smoking.  Like the guys suggested, store with moisture added to bring the moisture content of the wood up for smoking.  Also try the foil-wrap method, but don't bother with soaking.  Soaking only gets the surface of the meat wet, and prolongs how much time it takes to get the smoke rolling.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2015, 11:22:44 PM »
How are you guys identifying wood combustion? 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah