Author Topic: Smoked Pretzel Bites  (Read 4773 times)

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
Smoked Pretzel Bites
« on: August 15, 2015, 07:41:09 PM »
One bag, no salt or low salt hard pretzels.   

Break up and toss with EVOO and any favorite rub in a bowl.

Lay out on foil on the SI racks, add more rub if you like.

I used my rib rub for one, had some sugar in it, worked well!

Other was raspberry chipotle, had a kick!

Set at 225 degrees, once smoke get really cooking/ steaming out the top, turn off and let rest.   I turned off at 45 mins.

I’ll be doing this again!   Not sure how much the pretzels got a smoke flavor, but they sure did take to the rub and oil.   

Endless combos.  Rubs, salt, spice, butter spray, ranch powder, heat, no heat, mustard, you name it.   
Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

elkins20

• Smokin it best electric smoker bar none!
Re: Smoked Pretzel Bites
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2015, 09:32:33 PM »
This sounds pretty good, how was the smoke flavor?
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2015, 09:57:58 PM »
It smells like smoke, I have them in zip lock bags now.   They have aroma.

The rub and evoo took well to each batch.   

The pretzels were already baked so not sure how much would be left to absorb.   

As a different way to do pretzels I'd do again.   

Buying them "naked" is pretty cheap if you have a bulk store.

Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

elkins20

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2015, 11:52:16 PM »
Hey John my next little project is to smoke almonds probably in the #1 now that it is on a cart. I have 3 seafood tray that I made. I also have 2 coming for the #3 so should have enough room to do a few pounds of almonds. But, will probably just do one to see how they come out. Once I get the brine down and the flavor correct then will do the rest of the 5#. Looking for a similar taste to the Blue Diamond smoked almonds.
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2015, 04:21:30 AM »
Try brined and un-brined.   Personally I don't use a brine for the nuts anymore.   

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2015, 02:21:39 PM »
John,

Sounds like a great snack and something new to try!

Greg

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2015, 03:10:56 PM »
Easy easy easy.  I took some for a shop I sell stuff in, I had to leave the two zip lock bags behind!

elkins20

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2015, 06:22:36 PM »
Ok quick question John, you do not brine your nuts b/4 smoking them? I would think the brine would help the smoke adhere to the say almonds. I also will get a cheap coffee grinder to grind the spices to put on almonds. I remember the spices in the bags of smoked almonds being like powder. Thanks for your help

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2015, 07:22:18 PM »
Try it both ways, i just don't have the need to brine them anymore.  Almonds are on the hard side so maybe it will help.    I found it made the nuts mushy (peanuts/walnuts).

Making the rub finer can't hurt, but I still think you'll need a bit of oil to make it stick.   

elkins20

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2015, 08:17:43 PM »
Yes, was think EVOO to put on the almonds prior to adding the spice blend. Also was thinking not drying them very well after they come out of the brine as that might help also in the spices holding. But, will try both ways. As you say the almonds are a little harder than some others.