Author Topic: Smokin-It Temperature Contoller Bypass  (Read 97457 times)

airgunhunter

Wiring Diagram Request: I screwed up
« Reply #120 on: December 31, 2017, 09:35:36 AM »
I have an old school 4. I did a bypass with a rocker switch to have the original controller as a back up but use the Auber 99% of the time. I used it for a year with no problems and then had the heating element crack during a smoke. After that, all kinds of weird things happened. The auber got shorted a couple of times and I sent it in twice for a repair. The auber company was efficient and extremely helpful. I've been using the attached wiring diagram by CUTiger80. I have had to "re-wire" The unit about 9 times. The wire from the power cord to the heating element on the right (as you look at the cabinet from the back) is also tied to the indicator light is the one that frequently burns out/melts. I am going to try a new element. The wire to element connection on the right has melted to the connectors I have used in the past. I talked to Steve and he said my problem is probably not using high temperature wire in the right place and not using high temperature connectors. My questions for the august group are:

1) Can someone provide me with a diagram that shows exactly where the high temperature wire and connector goes? Also what is the orientation of wires connecting to the heating element? Does it matter if the power supply connects to the right or left from the back?

2) I may just skip the rocker/selector switch. I always use the Auber. Does someone have a good diagram for that?

Thank you, gentlemen! I hope you all have a blessed and Happy New Year!

Tommy in Spartanburg, SC
Tommy in SC

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: Smokin-It Temperature Contoller Bypass
« Reply #121 on: December 31, 2017, 10:56:38 AM »
Tommy - Have you checked out these postings?  Some good illustrative photos that may or may not help.  Here's hoping!

http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=2940
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

BlackRock

« Reply #122 on: February 28, 2018, 03:57:30 PM »
Tommy,

Before I modified my #1, I drew the wiring diagram and saved it to my PC for future reference.

This should help you.

Dave

« Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 04:36:29 PM by BlackRock »
Dave from Eastern Pa, #1

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #123 on: February 28, 2018, 10:50:18 PM »
Dave, thanks for sharing.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller