Author Topic: Weber Genesis Grill - Which one to purchase?  (Read 8290 times)

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
Weber Genesis Grill - Which one to purchase?
« on: January 13, 2016, 08:01:22 AM »
Hey Guys,

I know a lot of folks have the Weber grills so I thought I would get some feedback before I bought one.

I am looking at purchasing the 300 series. I am torn between the E-310 and the E-330. The 310 does not have a side burner or Sear Station burner.

For me I don't think I would ever use the side burner, but not sure about the sear burner?

So my question if have the sear burner, do you use it ?

Thanks Greg

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
Re: Weber Genesis Grill - Which one to purchase?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2016, 10:32:51 AM »
On a side note on Webers, don't go to lowes or home depot.

True Value or an off hardware store should offer the Webers with stainless burner covers and a stainless top grill rack.

The box stores are priced the same but with lower quality internals.

Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

H3

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2016, 10:38:30 AM »
I have the E 330 and I like it. I have never used the side burner but the sear burner makes a big difference. It makes the left side of the grill super hot and gives a great sear. I also like the way the bottom of the grill has a large drip pan that slides out for easy cleaning. I bought the chip box for it and I've found that a chunk of wood on the grate works better. I recently bought a Weber Smoky Joe small charcoal grill. I like the reverse sear on charcoal better than on the gas grill.
Howard from Panama City Beach

smokeasaurus

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2016, 10:45:31 AM »
I grabbed a Camp Chef outdoor stove with grill box for the occasional "lets cook supper quick it is getting late" type of cooks.

If I was going to use it more frequently the Weber with the searing station would be in my radar.
Got Smoke?
Smokin It #2 and stand
Weber Performer
Weber Redhead
Gabby Grills Santa Maria and Rotisserie
PK Grill
Blackstone 36 inch Flat Top

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2016, 12:50:35 PM »
I cannot comment on the sear station, but I can tell you that I have had a grill with the side burner and never used it. My Weber Genesis doesn't include either the side burner or the sear station. The Sear Station would be intriguing though.

I will tell you that my Weber Genesis is still going strong after 11 years. The only thing I have had to replace is the igniter button. My burners and steel racks are still in great shape. It is well worth the extra bucks to go with Weber over any of the big box grills.

I would also concur not to purchase from a big box store. I got mine from a small retail chain department store and had the premium insides in it.

If you get that sear station, let us know how you like it.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2016, 02:56:48 PM »
Where I will be moving there is only one box store, so most likely I will by it there.

But from what I understand the Weber Genesis Grills are all the same and the price is pretty much fixed, unless I am missing something.

Greg

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2016, 03:12:20 PM »
I stand corrected, looks like Weber does have two different grades in the Genesis line.

The E-330 & EP-330 (looks like the EP version comes with stainless steel grates and flavorizer bars).

Looks like I can get it online from bbqguys.com with no tax for $874.00. Which is just a few dollars more than the HD version E-330.

Thanks for the help guys, I am glad I asked the question!

Greg
« Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 03:25:39 PM by gregbooras »

Walt

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2016, 05:18:33 PM »
Greg,

I purchased an EP-330 from ABT.com for $849 (no tax & free shipping) just before christmas. The sear station is very nice as are the stainless grates & flavorizer bars. My last grill was a ducane & lasted 12 years. The ducane was built like a tank. This weber is very nicely built & cooks better. You wont regret the purchase. The grill handle automatic light for $25 more is worth it as well.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2016, 05:24:35 PM »
Greg,

I purchased an EP-330 from ABT.com for $849 (no tax & free shipping) just before christmas. The sear station is very nice as are the stainless grates & flavorizer bars. My last grill was a ducane & lasted 12 years. The ducane was built like a tank. This weber is very nicely built & cooks better. You wont regret the purchase. The grill handle automatic light for $25 more is worth it as well.

Hey Walt,

Thanks great info, I am thinking about getting one with the Black hood.

Greg

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2016, 05:54:20 PM »
Now for another wrinkle:)  I like the non stainless grates, vs the stainless "bars".   More of a flat surface vs rounded welded tubes (which are stainless)

The stainless should clean up in dishwasher if you can keep up with it after each cook.

Not sure if the Weber stainless grates are two pieces or one flat rack though

Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

Walt

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2016, 06:24:20 PM »
I have the green one. My 12 year old stainless racks from the ducane still look new. I have no complaints with the end result useing them & the durability is terriffic. I think stainless or not is a Chevy or Ford discussion.  EP-330's grates are 2 pieces. I dont regret the purchase.... Its a nice gasser.
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

Walt

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2016, 06:33:43 PM »
If you get the black one, the discontinued optional cabinetry is still available one EBAY @ a firesale price.

As a side note regarding your BBQ resturant marathon, if you havent made it to Big Bob Gibsons in Decateur, Al put it on the list. I spent the weekend with Chris Lilly hunting & he cooked a pork shoulder & a venison pinwheel that were dynamite. He won best pork shoulder 9 times & best overall 4 times at Memphis.
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2016, 07:33:23 PM »
Hey Walt,

i have indeed enjoyed BBQ from Big Bob Gibsons in Decateur, Al.

But I have never had the pleasure of hanging out with Chris Lily!

Greg

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2016, 10:22:04 PM »
If/when I replace my 19 year old Genesis 1100, the 330 is probably going to be my choice.  Not sure what everyone is offering, as far as grates and flavorizer bars, but whichever way I go I will have porcelin-coated cast iron grates, and stainless bars.  The porcelin iron is fantastic; holds/distributes heat very well, and is super easy to clean.  I've used Weber's stainless grates, and don't like them, as well as the non-coated cast iron.  Can't go wrong with Weber - proof is in the pudding, for me!  I've been through 3 sets of burners, 2 sets of bars, a cleanup/paint job, and a whole lot of propane, and she still gets the job done!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2016, 08:36:06 PM »
Good point on the grate, I think I agree.

All of which can be purchased separate depending on where you get your original grill.