Author Topic: Temperature Out of Control  (Read 10222 times)

donr827

Re: Temperature Out of Control
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2016, 12:37:09 PM »
I'm replacing the controller on mine also. Instructions mention using silicone caulking. Any special type of silicone caulk?
Don

Rowdyts

« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2016, 01:47:43 AM »
I've had my smoker about a month and my temp when smoking is about 20-30 degrees warmer than it should be.  When I turn it up to 250, it starts cooking at 300.  I've read this forum and see it's a temp. control or rheostat problem.   When I cook chicken, the skin feels like rubber....is this because the temp is jumping too fast or do I need to add water?
Chris from Minnesota

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2016, 12:22:14 PM »
Sorry Don, I am not sure on your question. Where are you applying the caulk? If it is a high temp area, you can by the high-temp red silicone caulk at most hardware stores.

Chris, you are always going to get rubbery chicken in an electric smoker. Several of us have tried to find solutions, but most have either given up on getting crispy skin or pulling the bird a little bit prior to hitting internal temp and placing it in the oven or on the grill to crisp the skin up. You can do a quick search and you will see numerous threads about this.

Regarding your temperature control issue I'm not saying that this is the case with you, but I had the same issue and found that there was a small piece of packing cardboard around my internal temperature sensor that was causing my issue. I think it took me three smokes before I figured that one out.

Otherwise, you can adjust your temperature control knob via the following instructions:
http://www.smokin-it.com/v/vspfiles/files/HeatControllerAdjustmentInstructions.pdf
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

Rowdyts

« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2016, 01:49:46 AM »
No cardboard, but will try the instructions in the am...tks for the help.
Chris from Minnesota

Rowdyts

« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2016, 01:50:52 AM »
Well, adjusted the knob today (counter clockwise) and tried it again.  Still cooking really hot.  Had it turned to 175 and after fifty minutes (hamburgers inside) the internal temp got to 230.  Stayed between 210-230 until the hamburger temp. was reached of 165.  I've read some people say put water inside and others say not to.  I haven't tried the water yet.  I think, I'll just say screw it as long as the food keeps coming out good.  I'm just concerned about the times when the recipe tells me to put something in for several hours at a certain temp, that I won't be able to maintain it.
Chris from Minnesota

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2016, 09:38:50 AM »
With the hamburgers, it is such a small mass of meat that I think the smoker smoked like it was empty, in which case large swings and over temperature is normal. I would try a Boston Butt and see if the results are as off as you are seeing.

I use a tin with some water, beer, or juice for pretty much all of my smokes except for poultry, sausage, or jerky. Make sure you place it on the floor of the smoker rested right up against the smoke box instead of on a rack.

Where are you placing your box temp probe?
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

donr827

« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2016, 11:40:04 AM »
Greg! The caulk is used to seal the hole where the controlled enters the rear wall.
Don

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2016, 07:16:55 PM »
Don, personally, I'd use high-temp RTV sealant from the parts store, for where the probe enters the back wall (red or blue). 
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Rowdyts

« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2016, 07:19:04 PM »
With the hamburgers, it is such a small mass of meat that I think the smoker smoked like it was empty, in which case large swings and over temperature is normal. I would try a Boston Butt and see if the results are as off as you are seeing.

I use a tin with some water, beer, or juice for pretty much all of my smokes except for poultry, sausage, or jerky. Make sure you place it on the floor of the smoker rested right up against the smoke box instead of on a rack.

Where are you placing your box temp probe?

I have tried putting my probe at different locations, but always on a rack.  I use the Maverick probes that have the device where I can prop it up on the rack.
Chris from Minnesota

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2016, 06:59:39 PM »
Chris, I always recommend putting the temp probe on the same level as the meat, at least 2" away (to avoid influence by the surface temp of the meat).
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!