Author Topic: My first smoke #1  (Read 2374 times)

Scott W

My first smoke #1
« on: April 20, 2020, 07:28:54 PM »
Did a small chicken and am wondering how I could have lived without a smoker! Currently smoking a small brisket, can't wait to hit temperature.

barelfly

Re: My first smoke #1
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2020, 07:34:42 PM »
Welcome Scott! Glad to have you here and love to see the successful first smoke on that yard bird!!!! Can’t wait to hear about the brisket! That’s my favorite smoke!

Enjoy!
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear

Scott W

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2020, 08:50:56 PM »
Thanks Barelfly, btw I have had a almost 3lb brisket in at 225 for a solid 5+ hours and it's only up to 167, any idea how long it will take? thanks

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2020, 09:03:27 PM »
Nicely done Scott.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

barelfly

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2020, 10:11:45 PM »
So, for brisket, you usually can plan on 1.5 hours per pound for standard choice brisket (this can vary for various grades as well, down to 1 hour per pound) but, for some reason, in my experience at least, it takes much longer to get to temp the smaller the size of the cut.

You also will run into a stall, which varies but can usually show up at the 165* range and take a while for it to really get past that temp. Hopefully that brisket cooks for you ok, but another tip to help it, you could wrap it in foil or butcher paper to help it come to temp a bit quicker. But, try to only do this once it starts to climb out of the stall so you don’t loose that momentum the brisket has started to gain. If you use foil, you may lose a bit of the bark formation because of moisture trapped, that’s where butcher paper holds an advantage, allows some of that moisture to escape.

another tip, you could kick up the temp a bit, to 250*, that could help it as well. I have started to cook all of my pork and beef at that temp now, provides great results and doesn’t take quite as long as 225* - I’ve even seen others on this site that cook at 275* with great results.

Don’t give up on it though. I think everyone who smokes bbq has ran into a situation like this that altered plans for dinner - so don’t sweat it. It will be great!
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear

BrianInOhio

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2020, 11:15:51 PM »
Nice looking chicken!
Brian - Columbus, OH
Smoker Newbie
Bourbon drinker
Smokin' It #1

mike1910

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2020, 08:00:22 AM »
Bird looks great Scott! Hope your brisket was a success, too.
Mike from NE Minnesota
SI #3

HawkFan70

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2020, 03:09:23 PM »
Great looking bird!  Welcome to the forum!
Chris from NE Iowa
SI #3

Scott W

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2020, 08:17:41 PM »
Bird looks great Scott! Hope your brisket was a success, too.
The brisket surprisingly came out pretty well, it got stuck at 165 for about 3 hours and being such a small brisket I think it overcooked a bit.