Author Topic: Any idea what I did wrong with this pork roast?  (Read 1637 times)

Samson73103

Any idea what I did wrong with this pork roast?
« on: December 01, 2018, 11:47:00 AM »
I put a 7 lb pork roast in my 2D at 10:00 last night, assuming it would take 10-12 hours.  I inserted the thermometer into the thickest part and used the book that came with my 2D to set the program as follows

C01-235 degrees
E01-F
F01-195 degrees

C02-140 degrees
E0-T
T02- 4.0 hours

C03-C06 were all set to zero per the instructions in the owner's manual

I checked on it this morning at 6:15 and the smoker was off and the meat was cold.  So there will be no pulled pork to enjoy while I watch football this afternoon but the neighbor's dog is having the feast of his life at the moment.  I can't figure out where I went wrong.  All settings were taken straight out of the book.  Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.

LarryD

• 3DW
Re: Any idea what I did wrong with this pork roast?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2018, 12:43:36 PM »
I know there are people who love their digital smokers, but I am so very happy to be analog.  I've had so many crazy probe issues and read about others having them, that I'll never trust a probe to decide when the smoker should shut off.  Hopefully one of the folks who do digital here will be able to tell you what happened.
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

Walt

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2018, 01:27:15 PM »
Overnight, due to fat pockets, I have had a brisket do this. To resolve, for overnight cooks, use the time function to carry you through your nornal sleeping hours followed by the exact program you used. Never happened again....
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2018, 02:20:53 PM »
Sorry for your struggles. I will keep smoking analog. Time +Box Temp has always produced. I don't even run a probe for IT any more. I just collect the meal when the time is up. Not bragging just trying to say digital has its downfalls. If it works properly it is kinda cool, but I never read about small failures it is always big.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2018, 05:16:14 PM by Pork Belly »
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

Samson73103

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2018, 02:57:40 PM »
 "I never read about small failures it is always big."

That was certainly true this time.  I wondered, after the fact, if it wouldn't have been wise to set a cook time in addition to the temperature and adjust accordingly this morning if I so desired.  I surely appreciate the feedback.

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2018, 05:44:43 PM »
I have never had that problem with the D.  I simply set the cook temp and the target internal temp and zero out everything else. For briskets and butts, starting between 10PM and midnight, I just go to bed and check on the smoker when I wake up.  I have never programmed it to a keep warm function.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

barelfly

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2018, 10:36:57 AM »
This is an edit - I reread your post. Did you have a pork but or pork roast? If you cooked a pork roast, then that’s why I’m guessing you had cold meat, although 8 hours you would think it would be warm, maybe not safe to eat temp, but still warm? My experience is that pork roast is lean and cooks much quicker due to the lack of collagen needing to break down. A pork butt needs the 10-12 hours like you planned. If you did have a pork roast like you mention, that could be the issue?

I have a 3D and most always cook by temp only. I’ve tried the program cook a few times and never felt comfortable with using the step down after a cook dropped to the holding temp before it was supposed to. I’m sure it was user error vs the unit but that’s just how I go for overnight cooks.

I know I should try it again since I spent the money on the functionality but.....😁

Sorry it didn’t work out for you. Hopefully you can find a pork roast or something that cooks quicker to get dinner ready.

« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 10:45:17 AM by barelfly »
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear