Author Topic: Model 3  (Read 3780 times)

Stevegardner

Model 3
« on: November 27, 2018, 09:27:53 PM »
Hi Guys..Just joined the forum last night. I have been using smokers for years, offsets, electrics, etc. Most recently I had a Smokin Tex and it died a couple night ago. I am going to take the plunge and get one of these. Hell Yes.
So, I like the size of the 3, but I am not seeing an analog model. Are those no longer offered? I like some of the features a digital unit offers. Concerned a bit that I would be adding a new mechanical component that could possibly break, etc. I know that is a bit negative and I don’t want to come off that way. I just like plugging it in, setting the time and minimizing any chances of breakdowns. Do they still offer the 3 without the digital feature? Thanks.

Lonzinomaker

Re: Model 3
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2018, 10:19:56 PM »
I believe when a model is out of stock, it is removed from website until it is back in stock. 
I had to wait for 2 months when I was ready to order for my #3 to get back in stock and on website to order last year.  I really like my #3, it is Goldilocks just right model.
Dave
Smokin-It #3 main smoker.
1400 Smokin Tex (same size as #2) for Snowbird time.
Smokin-It #1 for camping trips.
Big Chief with mailbox mod for cheese smoking
Blackstone 22in griddle with Bakerstone pizza oven
Spokane, WA

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2018, 11:10:30 PM »
Yeah... haven't heard anything about it being discontinued.  Probably just sold out since they had a 10% off sale for Black Friday.
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

tomd8

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2018, 12:44:40 PM »
I purchased a model 3 a few months back and prior to purchasing I emailed Steve the company president and asked about their product roadmap. His response:

"Thanks for your interest in our electric smokers.  We have no future plans to stop offering the current analog temperature controllers or increase the air flow inside the smoker.  But several customers have increased the drain hole to help the performance of the smoke cubes."
Tom from New York
SmokinIt #3 analog, Masterbuilt analog, Little Chief

Stevegardner

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2018, 01:27:31 PM »
I inquired about the Model 3, but they will not be in until after the first of the year. Going back and forth about waiting it out or just grabbing a bigger Smokin Tex. Kind of bummed as I always smoke stuff for folks at Christmas. But, hate spending more cash to get it earlier. It obviously takes awhile to order one of these units...

EFGM

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2018, 02:02:05 PM »
I inquired about the Model 3, but they will not be in until after the first of the year. Going back and forth about waiting it out or just grabbing a bigger Smokin Tex. Kind of bummed as I always smoke stuff for folks at Christmas. But, hate spending more cash to get it earlier. It obviously takes awhile to order one of these units...

For me the bad part about today's technology, i.e. email, messaging, cell phones, instant answers online, etc. all make me want everything now or immediately. And it does quite a job on me, probably not for everyone but me. I feel your frustration. Don't know for sure but I would suspect the #3 is the best selling unit and it would be hard to always predict how many of which to have in stock. I would for sure really consider the rack sizes one vs the other and take into consideration what you will be smoking most. They say patience is a virtue, I personally, would wait for the #3, but whatever choice you make you will make some good Q I'm sure. I have on a couple of occasions choose my second choice because I had been in a rush to have something in hand and always second guessed myself with the haunting "why didn't I just wait a little longer for what I wanted question!" Just sayin'
Doug
Carrollton
A Briskitarian with Briskititus
#4D w/Big Red Upgrade: PG1000: Fireboard

"SMOKIN-IT CARES"

Stevegardner

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2018, 07:23:45 PM »
Good points..Hey, here is a question. If I buy the Model 3 w/WiFi..If the WiFi component should break, am I able to still smoke while that piece is being fixed?

tomd8

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2018, 01:53:49 PM »
I may be wrong but I don't see how the smoker will work without the electronics to control the temperature.  Not like adding a PID (separate temp control) to an analog, have the PID fail and left with the analog temp control.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 01:59:53 PM by tomd8 »
Tom from New York
SmokinIt #3 analog, Masterbuilt analog, Little Chief

barelfly

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2018, 06:30:40 PM »
Perhaps I’m answering incorrectly, but if the WiFi portion stops working, you should be able to set the unit up at the control input.  But that may not be what you are asking. If the unit itself breaks, then no, I don’t believe you could use it. But, they do sell them separately if I’m not mistaken. I could swap out my 3D controller for the WiFi unit I think. I haven’t looked at that option, I’m fine with the 3D solo. And, I could do with the analog version based on how I use the unit now.

But, definitely wait for the model you want to get back in stock. You will love it, then go spend the extra money on some meat!
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2018, 08:24:31 PM »
Steve - The smokers sell out from time to time. Since you brought up SmokinTex, there is a chart put together a couple of years back showing a comparison of various smokers.  Somewhat outdated on the pricing and newer models from SI but still a good guide to the value of SI.  And welcome from SE Arizona.

https://www.smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=4678.0
« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 08:27:10 PM by old sarge »
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Stevegardner

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2018, 10:54:18 AM »
Thanks Fellas- That is a great spreadsheet. I have A/B'ed the three companies a few times in recent weeks and do know that the best value is with SI, never been any question about that. I will wait it out until after New Years most likely. Any other time of the year and it would not even be an issue. Its all good, I will come up with a Plan B and wait this out....Thanks Guys.