Author Topic: 21 day Dry-Aged Choice Ribeye Roast  (Read 3872 times)

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
21 day Dry-Aged Choice Ribeye Roast
« on: December 09, 2016, 03:29:28 AM »
So I've had the UMAI bags for a while. This is my first try at dry-aging. I decided to start a Ribeye Roast after Thanksgiving, when I had room in my fridge for the monster. I bought a 20 pound Boneless Choice Ribeye Roast from Costco on Dec 3rd. I trimmed 3 pounds of steaks off of one end (to be eaten immediately). The remaining 17 pounds went into the UMAI bag, and into the fridge. My plan was to age it around 45-60 days, but then my mom heard about it. You see, our family Christmas is at my mom's house, and she always has prime rib. So she wants to use my Ribeye Roast for Christmas. That will be only about 21 days. I really don't know if 21 days will make that much difference, but I guess I'll find out. I'd prefer to go longer, but there is no choice. I would assume it will at least be somewhat better than if it was not aged at all. I'll have to get another one started for the 45-60 day version.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2016, 03:57:42 AM by SconnieQ »
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
Re: 21 day Dry-Aged Choice Ribeye Roast
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2016, 11:02:39 AM »
Kari, I have a prime rib going as well. I had to cut the bones off to fit in the Umai bag but it will be great for Christmas as will your Ribeye roast. Even at 21 days, you will love the difference.
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

SconnieQ

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2016, 12:06:53 PM »
Does dry-aging affect the cooking time? I would think it might shorten it, since there is less water, but then again, it is more dense. I will be going by temperature of course, but just curious.
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

Walt

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2016, 12:25:40 PM »
It will cook more quickly. 21 days will definitely be an improvement but longer is definitely better. I will also be cooking a 76 day one on Christmas.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2016, 09:47:04 PM »
You'll see a big difference, Kari, and it will spoil you!  I know Walt takes it to the far end of the spectrum, and his patience is to be applauded, but 21-28 days is perfect for me.  Far better than fresh!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

SconnieQ

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2016, 04:32:49 PM »
I'll be trimming my ribeye roast Saturday. Being that I only had time to age it 21 days, I'm thinking the trimmings will be less thick than say a 45-day dry age. My question is, what can I do with the trimmings? I've read that some people grind them up, then add them to their hamburger meat. Some people use them as dog treats. I have a dog, but I'm way too selfish for that unless there is no other option! ;D Can I add them when I make my homemade beef stock with all of my other scraps and trimmings? What are the disadvantages to this? I assume they might create some "funk", in flavor, but I like funk, and 21 days is not a lot when it comes to developing any mushroomy or cheesy notes, in fact, sounds like 21 days doesn't affect flavor much at all (28 days is what I have read as starting to create those mushroomy flavors). And a mushroomy or cheesy note to stock would be a big bonus for me. I hate to waste anything. Nothing leaves my house that isn't bare bones, so tossing trimmings would be difficult for me. There is nothing unsafe about the trimmings is there?
« Last Edit: December 22, 2016, 04:36:17 PM by SconnieQ »
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

Walt

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2016, 08:02:57 PM »
I asked the exact same questions with little response when I started. I have been using mine as frozen meat snacks for the dogs. However, I think they would be great for stock, as you suggest. Not sure about adding to your grind but I await your results. It does feel wrong feeding it to the dogs. Keep us posted as to your results.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill