Author Topic: Greg's Canadian Bacon Reubens - a new smoker classic :)  (Read 1355 times)

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
Greg's Canadian Bacon Reubens - a new smoker classic :)
« on: April 06, 2015, 06:27:18 PM »
When you are handed lemons, make lemonade. I know Reubens traditionally use corned beef, but did you know in the early 1900's maybe the inventor of the Reuben also used ham!

Well I smoked 4lbs of Canadian Bacon and still had left overs, so meet Greg's Canadian Bacon Reubens, world famous, no awards yet :)

So here is how we roll for this recipe:

Super thin shaved Canadian Bacon, put some Thousand Island dressing on some rye bread, add some Swish cheese, add some German Sauerkraut, melt and you now have dinner!

While there are three maybe four persons credited for the Reuben, Arnold Reuben of NY also used ham on his Reuben.

Arnold Reuben (1883-1970), opened a deli in New York City in 1908.  After a few relocations it settled in its final home at Madison and 58th or 59th (depending on the source), where it stayed for the next three decades.  As the story goes, in 1914 an actress by the name of Annette Seelos, who was working on a Charlie Chaplin film at the time, stopped into Reuben’s.  Allegedly she stated:  “I’m so hungry I could eat a brick.”  Reuben took some rye bread and added Virginia ham, turkey, Swiss cheese, cole slaw and Russian dressing.  Seelos was so pleased with his concoction that she requested it be named after her.  Reuben, taking his due credit and rebuffing her narcissism stated:  “The hell I will.  I’ll call it a Reuben’s Special!” 

Enjoy Greg