Author Topic: Modified Air Intake and Exhaust  (Read 9416 times)

Treetop

Modified Air Intake and Exhaust
« on: February 18, 2017, 01:20:21 PM »
I have a model 3.  Has anyone enlarged the air intake and exhaust ports in these smokers?  I'm having a hard time keeping my A-Maze-N smoke generator lit without using an exhaust fan to increase the air flow.  I think a larger hole would be a better solution and allow better control of the smoke so I could do a little cold smoking during the winter months.

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
Re: Modified Air Intake and Exhaust
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2017, 04:04:26 PM »
What are you using for fuel?  I had a difficult time with pellets but sawdust burns end to end.  Also, are you using the tube or the maze? Compromising the design of the smoker for the occasional cold smoke use doesn't seem prudent. 
« Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 04:07:04 PM by SuperDave »
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2017, 04:37:09 PM »
Try dropping the drip pan off the smoker and let it set on the ground. This might help with drafting.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Treetop

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2017, 11:01:39 AM »
Dave,  I'm using the maze with the sawdust that came with it.  Other sawdust from LEM is not as fine and next to imposible to keep lit.

Treetop

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2017, 11:05:14 AM »
Sarge,
Great suggestion, why didn't I think of that.  I'm smoking a couple slabs of bacon to day (if it quits raining long enough).  I'll let you know how removing the drip pan works. 

Limey

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2017, 04:14:29 PM »
"Compromising the design of the smoker for the occasional cold smoke use doesn't seem prudent."-SuperDave.
I agree with Dave. If you have a really hard time keeping the tube or the maze going(although many people on the forum seem to be successful in doing so) then you might want to consider an external smoke generator. I have had very good results with the Big Kahuna from Smoke Daddy. With this you can both choose exactly what woods you want to use in your cold smoke and also deliver really cold smoke into your SI. Typically my box temperature, using soda bottles full of frozen water, ends up at the end of the smoke lower than it started out and I frequently cold smoke in 80+ degrees ambient, a testament to how well these units are insulated. BTW the temperature here right now is 81 degrees-enjoy all that white stuff you guys.
Roger from the Florida Keys.
Two SI#3s, both with switched bypass and Aubers(different locations), Viking, Jenn Aire & five TEC infra red grills. Recently acquired UDS.

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2017, 05:17:02 PM »
I don't know how long you have had your maze but test it outside the smoker in open air and see if it stays lit.  It took me a while to learn how to use mine effectively.  For me, once the initial flame goes out, I blow on it lightly for a minute or two and a solid glowing cherry is in the center of the sawdust. If I do that, it will burn for hours and hours inside or out of the smoker. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2017, 09:03:39 PM »
+1. those tubes with fuel need time to get going.  Mostly more than one wishes or thinks! they need.   I've been using on the gasser and its not easy (or patience) I bet in the SI they are a pain.

Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

EFGM

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2017, 10:44:07 PM »
Simple solution/s
If your a jerky maker, use your jerkey fan
If not do what Dave suggested and place a small fan blowing away from smoker on top. I some time use a small battery powered fan.

As stated definitely I would not alter the intake or outlet hole. I cold smoke 20# of Cheese at a time with the tube smoker.

Other option is order a cold plate and follow directions provided and use input from others on the forum.

Good luck and Happy Smoking
« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 06:58:19 AM by EFGM »
Doug
Carrollton
A Briskitarian with Briskititus
#4D w/Big Red Upgrade: PG1000: Fireboard

"SMOKIN-IT CARES"

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2017, 07:41:35 PM »
I would rather smoke in a cardboard box with the $30 A-Maze-N sawdust smoker, than chop holes in my $400 Smokin-It.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2017, 08:59:05 PM »
Well said :)
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2017, 11:21:14 PM »
I use both my tube and tray A-MAZE-N smokers without any mods.

I just remove my drip tray and smoke box and rest on my element so that it is close to the drain hole for air flow.

I have tried different locations from on the floor to on the lowest shelf rack, but have found that I get the best results by just resting the bottom of the smoker between the elements and the top on the front of the smoke box rack.

I can also tell you that I switched from this torch:
Self-igniting Butane Micro-torch

To this one and it made lighting my A-MAZE-N smoker WAAAAAY easier.
Mag-Torch MT535C Self-Lighting Regulated Torch

I was constantly battling with that little butane torch to keep it lit. But, I have not had to relight once since switching to the propane torch.

For the tube, I remove my smoke box and rest the tube on the front of the smoke box frame and the back of the tube on the #3 element. This rests right about the drain hole where air can come in. Since I am cold smoking I remove my drip plate to allow for more air to get to the drain hole.

I had some trouble with my earlier tests, but I think it is because my mini-torch was not getting the pellets lit adequately enough. My kids got me a propane torch for Christmas a couple years ago and I have not had my A-MAZE-N smokers go out on me since.

I slight wind is necessary to get some air flow though. Otherwise others have used fish tank aerators or even a James Jerky Dryer if you have one to keep air moving through the smoker. The A-MAZE-N going out on you is easily remedied with a few slight tweaks that do not require modifying your smoker.

Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

Treetop

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2017, 05:33:03 PM »
Thanks everybody.  I ended up using ND's method.  Ill' also try lighting the maze with a propane torch rather than the dinky little kitchen tool I use to make creme brule to see if that helps.  I tried the jerky fan, but I like more smoke than it leaves behind.  Plus,  that maze really does burn through sawdust more quickly with that jerky fan running full blast.  I think I can fix that with an old light switch dimmer though.  But the next project will be to make a smoke generator that uses an aquarium pump to keep the sawdust going.  Plenty of plans on You-Tube to follow.  By the way, the bacon turned out great, as always. 

Lonzinomaker

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2018, 12:21:34 PM »
I found this https://www.walmart.com/ip/Bernzomatic-WT2301-Campfire-Torch/54806362 at Walmart. It has push button start, but you have to open a valve first. Very convenient for the price.
Dave
Smokin-It #3 main smoker.
1400 Smokin Tex (same size as #2) for Snowbird time.
Smokin-It #1 for camping trips.
Big Chief with mailbox mod for cheese smoking
Blackstone 22in griddle with Bakerstone pizza oven
Spokane, WA