Author Topic: Meat sticks  (Read 1904 times)

TJ

Meat sticks
« on: September 02, 2020, 03:52:52 PM »
How long and at what temperature? Did some research and seems every article I read gives different times and temperatures including what IT to shoot for.
Sticks are 1/2 inch, venison teriyaki. My plan today is 125 for an hour, then 150 for another hour, and finally 175 until the IT hits 155-160. First time making these.
Crossville Tennessee

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: Meat sticks
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2020, 09:06:34 PM »
I cannot help you and if you don't get any responses from those who make meat sticks, you'll just have to go the trial and error route.  Good luck!
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2020, 01:32:01 PM »
Smoke them hot and fast. 200 for a smoke temp and use plenty of smoke. After making sure the sticks do not touch put a probe in one. Run them up to 150 internal and quench them in and ice water batch. A cooler works well. Keep the thermometer in them while there are chilling in the ice bath. When the temp comes down to 100, take them out. Shake off excess water then pat dry.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

TJ

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2020, 01:58:38 PM »
Smoke them hot and fast. 200 for a smoke temp and use plenty of smoke. After making sure the sticks do not touch put a probe in one. Run them up to 150 internal and quench them in and ice water batch. A cooler works well. Keep the thermometer in them while there are chilling in the ice bath. When the temp comes down to 100, take them out. Shake off excess water then pat dry.

Interesting. Did alot of reading and most say to start low and work up slow to 152-160 IT. This is what I did yesterday and today.
Next time will try what you suggested. Have you done many sticks before? What size?
Thanks
Crossville Tennessee

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2020, 09:26:35 PM »
Have you done many sticks before? What size?

I have done a few sticks in the past. At least 25 lbs sometime 50lbs a year, since 2006. A 21mm collagen casing with 70/30 Venison/Pork blend. I single grind through a large plate and stuff them with a LEM 5lb stuffier. Since 2016 I did the Venison Snack Stick Kit from Butcher and Packer. Those kits come with everything you need to make a batch in the set weight.  We always added 10% High Temp Cheddar Cheese before stuffing. The family like the flavor and we didn't feel the need for a change until 2019.

Last year I changed it up and did a 70/30 venison pork mix seasoned with Leggs Salami Seasoning. I added cure #1 and stuffed them in 21mm Collagen. I think I will reduce the size of the casing to 18 to see what we like more.

My reasoning for not ramping up the heat on any sausage protect is the fat. We see so many posts on here about "My sausage was dry..." A review of those posts will show, they ramped the heat.

Put the smoke to them and get them hot for a shorter period of time, then quickly cool them to stop the cooking and solidify the fat.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

TJ

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2020, 01:35:59 PM »
I used 30% pork fat with venison. The sticks came out really good but next time will lower the fat to 20% and see how they taste. I'll also try smoking a batch at 200 and see what happens. I did notice that once the racks are full they smoker is hotter on each end of the racks. It was important to rotate the racks and well as flip the sticks.
Thanks for the advice
Crossville Tennessee