Author Topic: Anyone use the rib hooks in the Model #2?  (Read 6958 times)

MNGuy1959

• Every Day is a great day for smokin'
Anyone use the rib hooks in the Model #2?
« on: October 01, 2013, 10:17:02 AM »
Hi Everyone:

When I bought my model 2 in the Spring, I also ordered the rib hooks, but never have used them.  I am wondering if anyone here has tried them, and what are the results?  I bought these so I could get more ribs in the smoker, but I am concerned with overloading the model 2.  Using the standard racks, I have done three full racks (cut in half), and am wondering if having the rib hooks, I may be able to get 5 full racks done. 

Gene from Minnesota
Proud owner of Model #2, Auber, and Jerky dryer

The worst smoking results are still better than being at the office!!

puddle jumper

Re: Anyone use the rib hooks in the Model #2?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2013, 07:31:03 PM »
  Does not look like anyone has but I'm interested, when you try them let me know how it worked,, I have been thinking about getting a a couple of rib rack for mine the kind that stands the racks up so I can do more at one time,,,
I would not think you would overload the smoker unless you got a crazy amount of ribs in the but that's just a guess..
Thanks '
PJ
John from North Georgia
Smokin It #2 owner

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2013, 07:59:53 PM »
I haven't used them - kind of scared to.  The way my ribs come out, they're tender and fall off the bone.  I'm afraid the weight of the ribs would cause structural failure, and I'd open the door to a pile of ribs on the bottom of the smoker! :o

Anybody ever have this happen??
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

BIG BOB

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2013, 09:40:02 AM »
Mnguy... my first smoke was 5 smaller racks of babybacks in my #2 - i only had to cut two of the racks in half, so they all fit - but it was a packed house. i don't have a ribrack (thought they would fall off) but i did get a lot of ribs in my #2.

they plan to sell a ribrack for the #2 ( #3 is available already) sometime in October, that will probably be the way to go for large amounts of ribs- especially since we dont have to foil via 2-2-1 in these kicka** smokers!
B-EE-RR-UN BEERRUN!

Bob from New Castle, IN.

DivotMaker

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2013, 07:46:40 PM »
A rib rack for the #1 would be great!  I could probably fit 2 racks in with one.  I can only do 1 1/2 racks now (using 3 shelves).  Ben? ...you listening?  ;)   

Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

MNGuy1959

• Every Day is a great day for smokin'
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2013, 03:19:13 PM »
Thanks everyone for your replies.  I was going to use my rib hooks, but we ended up doing a neighborhood bbq with friendly competition, so I ended up having a few additional smokers at my house.  I still haven't use the hooks, but I may wait for a rib rack anyways.

I need to start taking pictures and posting them.  I ended up taking 1st in our little competition, but alot of credit goes to me using a recipe from Myron Mixon's book 'Smokin'.  It was a glaze that used apple preserves, and they were a big hit.  I am still new to all of this, but I am having a blast with my #2.  It is my best friend on weekends :)

I would post the recipe, but don't want to do any copyright infringing.  The book is well worth the investment, however. 
Gene from Minnesota
Proud owner of Model #2, Auber, and Jerky dryer

The worst smoking results are still better than being at the office!!

BHamel

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2013, 02:32:28 PM »
Rib racks for all are coming soon.
Ben from Ohio
Smokin-it IT guy!
Owner of a Model #3
If you can't smoke it!  You shouldn't be eating it!!

DivotMaker

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2013, 04:18:06 PM »
Rib racks for all are coming soon.

Woo-Hoo!! 
Tony from NW Arkansas